This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Oh procrastination, a college students best friend, yet worst enemy. At this point, we get a thrill from stressing ourselves out by writing a 10 page paper the night before its due. It’s become an Olympic sport for us and I can say for myself, I don’t have any gold medals. Trust me I understand completely. I’m sitting here writing this article the day before I have to give it my editor, so I get it.

As a college student, you have five hundred other things you’re doing. You have other class work, extracurricular activities, friends, and just simply enjoying your college years, but honey we’re not going to fold this November and let those deadlines and piles of work take us out. It’s holiday season, Thanksgiving is around the corner and Christmas is down the street. So this is not the time to be playing beat the clock and catch up when we could be just enjoying grandma’s mac and cheese care-freely. I don’t know about you guys, but I’m tired of feeling overwhelmed and frustrated like Kermit the frog in that gif, you know this one.

Some might say that they do their best work under pressure but stop lying to yourself, you don’t. The quality of your work isn’t the only thing at stake. Procrastination can also cause damages to your health. According to the Association of Psychological Science, recent studies show that chronic procrastination may lead to serious health conditions such as hypertension and cardiovascular disease. The stress you endure from procrastination can also make you vulnerable to other health problems such as headaches, colds, digestive issues and insomnia.

Don’t add to the statistics and take the time to find your way out of the procrastination slump.

According to Forbes the 7 ways to stop your procrastination are:

1. Write down your goals and give your own deadline

2. Break it down

3. Picture your future

4. Take on your fear

5. Be accountable

6. Reward yourself

7. Be Brave!

So let’s finish this month off headache free, with a clean bill of health and getting 7 hours of beauty sleep!

Maraya Henderson

Hampton U '19

Maraya is a senior Strategic Communication major with an emphasis in Graphic Design originally from Richmond,VA. She has a passion for all things media. From graphics to writing her goal is to provide a creative space for her viewers to relate.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com