This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Everyone knows that the new year is the time for resolutions. Its when everyone commits to being their best, most productive selves. People list out their goals and make plans to reach them. But time is the only luxury we have. So why waste it by waiting until January to get down to business? Make this month No Nonsense November. What does this entail?

Using all 24 hours

Although it doesn’t always feel like it, we have 24 hours in the day – more than enough to get everything done. Put every hour of your day to good use. What seems like “useless” time can be used for productivity. In between classes you can finish homework. While waiting for your professor to start class, you can read a few pages of your assignment instead of going on twitter. (While I’m writing this. I’m currently in line to vote!) One of the reasons we don’t get things done is because we don’t plan ahead. So take advantage of every minute by using a productivity app.

Here are some suggestions: Long Day – Day Planner, OmniFocus 3, Taskade, and Timepages

Don’t allow people to waste your time

We’ve all agreed to go out when we should be writing a paper, applying for scholarships, or studying. It’s important to put yourself and your future first. Don’t be afraid to say no. You’ll feel lighter and more carefree afterwards – not weighed down by everything you have to do.

Make time for down time

It is great to be productive, but burnout is a real thing. Pencil in some time for Netflix, naps, and parties. It sounds counterintuitive but it will actually help you get things done. If you work constantly, you’ll reach a point where you can’t work anymore. You’ll be stressed out and exhausted. Its best to have a balance between productivity and fun. That way, you’ll get the most of your day and the most out of your life.

No Nonsense November is all about maximizing your time to reach your goals. It’s about doing more of the things that will benefit you in the long run. It’s about building the life that you want to live. So I encourage you to participate in No Nonsense November but I also challenge you to make it more than a month. Make it a lifestyle.

Good luck!

Cassie Herring

Hampton U '21

Cassie Herring is a graduating Senior English major from Woodbridge, Virginia. She is the current Senior Editor of Hampton University's HC Chapter. She is also a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellow and Co-President of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society. In her free time, she can be found writing poetry or listening to R&B. In the future, Cassie plans to earn her PhD and teach the collegiate level to empower the next generation of leaders.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com