element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

NO MAN NOVEMBER?! Oh well, Thank u, Next

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Ladies we are now well over four months into Cuffing Season, and if you haven’t made it past Draft Day don’t worry…. It just was not meant to be. It’s November, and if that one crush you have has not made an effort to be your man, then tough loss for him. No man November is not a time to be sad because your crush isn’t giving you booty rubs and forehead kisses. Take no man November as a time to take advantage of liberation, and reflect.

A lot of women who are used to being in a relationship or having the attention of guys in their phones find it hard to be single and enjoy it. Some women, especially in their early years in college, feel the need to have validation from having the attention come from the opposite sex. This validation can be an insecurity thing, because there wasn’t a man in the household, or some other underlying issue. As women we are naturally prone to giving our time and energy to take care of the people we love, especially when it comes to men. At times that can cause women, who haven’t spent time getting to really know themselves, to lose themselves being wrapped around the finger and validation of a man. This is why times like ‘No Man November’ is not a time to sit and be depressed, but eager to find yourself.

During your time of being single, and having no legs, enjoy not having to always be on your game to impress someone else. A good book to read as women is Zora Neale Hurston’s, Their Eyes Were Watching God. Also, don’t be afraid to talk to yourself, and I don’t mean the talking to random ruby type that’s in your head talking to yourself; however, ask yourself  ‘What do I like?’ “Who am I and what more do I want for myself?” Being single allows room to look at yourself from the outside in, and reflect on previous relationships and its effects on your current state.

Some days you may have a good cry and release all those emotions you never acknowledged, and sometimes the best type of healing comes from accepting the truth and the things you cannot change. After that good cry, go ahead and treat yourself by getting all dressed up with hair, makeup, and nails, taking a good look in the mirror and just say “Damn…I can do bad all by myself.” Then go out with either your friends or by yourself to eat a well deserved meal just because you can. While being single the only goal is to glow up and thrive.

November is the perfect time to self reflect and really get down with knowing yourself. Since the New Year is around the corner, you would want to be prepared for all that comes your way. During your, No Man November, think and write about your goals along with how you would like to achieve them to better yourself and the people around you. Therefore, once 2019 hits you will be a new woman with a clear, confident, and accomplished mind, body, and soul. So chin up ladies, you’ll be off the bench and back in the game sooner than later.

Shekinah Banks

Hampton U '22

My name is Shekinah Banks and I attend Hampton University. I am a second-year English major with a concentration in Creative Writing from Prince Georges' County Maryland. Becoming a criminal prosecutor is my dream alongside possibly starting my own YouTube channel.