This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Ever since I was little, I loved to play in makeup and watch videos on how to apply makeup. Over the years, I became obsessed with makeup leading me to spend a lot of money at Sephora, Ulta, and MAC cosmetics. Even though I love makeup, I also love to be natural. Most of the time, I will take breaks from makeup to give my skin time to breath and release impurities and toxins that can clog up my pores.

Taking breaks from makeup is something that every girl should practice. Most people can go a day or two, a week, but can you go a month? It’s november, the weather is changing, therefore, our skin will begin to go through changes. Usually when the weather starts to get colder our faces naturally get more dry.

Take a break from applying makeup if you wear it often. Let your skin breathe and heal. If you love makeup as much as I do then you’re probably reading this article and thinking no I can’t. But in reality you can. I’ve done it a few times and I noticed a drastic change in my skin. I have very dry and sensitive skin so I am very careful with the cosmetics and skin care products I use on my face.

I tend to take longer breaks from makeup now that I am older. I don’t always want to do a full face — maybe just some concealer and mascara to call it a day. Most of the time, I wear makeup to make me not look pale or tired. I hate being asked if I’m sick or tired. I know I’m not the only girl who hates being asked that when they have a bare face in public.

I’ve learned that what you put in your body will reflect on the outside of your skin. Drinking lots of water and eating your vegetables is one way to heal your skin’s appearance and make it glow. You have to wash your face daily. It is important to wash your face in the morning and before you go to bed to remove dirt and toxins from the day. Washing your face with your hands is not recommended. I brought a Conair True Glow Sonic Facial Beauty Kit for $49.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond and it works wonders. Find a face mask that works for you. I personally make my own with natural products that work well with my skin type, but there are many products out there that you could use.

For my natural days I use Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs, and Rosewater. You can get this at Ulta for $7.

I get so many compliments on my skin when I use this in the morning. My face automatically has a natural glow after I wash it and apply this facial spray. It is important to keep your face moisturized. I use Pond’s Correcting Cream Clarant B3 Dark Spot Normal to Dry Skin. You can get this product from Walmart for $6. I’m not going to tell you all of my skincare secrets, but it is important to learn your skin type and what works best for you. You want to keep your skin healthy and glowing.

It is also important to keep all of your makeup and makeup tools clean. Clean your brushes regularly because bacteria can find a way to live in them.

We’ve all heard the saying that true beauty comes from within. It is indeed true. I hope you take this month to work on healing and bettering your skin.

Anyaé Johns

Hampton U '21

Anyaé Johns is a graduating senior Journalism major/Leadership Studies and Cinema Studies minor from New Jersey. Anyaé is a part of the William R. Harvey Leadership Institute, HerCampus, NAACP, Phi Eta Sigma, and the Hampton Script. She is a writer and a mentor.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com