This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Whether you’re newly single or have been for a while now, Valentines day can be a little lonely. When February comes around all you see are couples expressing their love for each other with roses and teddy bears and disgustingly long Instagram posts about how happy in love they are, and here you are, with no bae, in your room, alone, watching all of this go on around you. Valentine’s Day is presumed to only be about couples and spending time with a special someone. What many of us fail to realize is that Valentines Day can be one of the best holidays to be single and spoil yourself (if you allow yourself to do so).

Instead of wallowing in your room all day, hit up some of your girlfriends and spend the evening with each other. That could mean going out to dinner, going to see a movie or even talking about the horrible ex-boyfriends over a bottle of wine. Either way, spending time with the friends that you love is a great way to spend the dreaded day. Valentine’s day isn’t just for lovers, it’s for love! Be happy for those who have found that special kind of love. Don’t be jealous, be happy and know that you’re just that much closer to finding your special person.

Love yourself just a little extra on Valentines Day. Sometimes after being hurt so many times we often forget that the first person whose love that we should seek, is our own. Just because someone fell out of love with you or vice versa doesn’t mean that you should do the same to yourself. Love Yourself! Try and remember all the reasons someone fell in love with you in the first place, write down all your qualities and look at them every day and know that someone else will fall in love with you again. In the meantime, spend some quality “me time” with yourself, or get a mani/pedi., Splurge on yourself a little and notice the difference you feel when you put all that love and energy back into yourself.

Remember that it is better to give than to receive and while it would be nice to have someone give you roses, chocolates and that oversized teddy bear from Costco, you can show your love by giving back. You can volunteer at your school, church or community center, just do things that can make a difference and show the world that you care. There are so many ways to love and feel loved. Don’t let a heartbreak be a roadblock for a real shot at love and happiness.

Abby Idisi

Hampton U

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.