New York Fashion Week Meets Alpha Cab

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Alpha Cab, one of the most buzzed about party is today! It’s the perfect place to show up and show out, that means you’ve got to dress to impress. You’ll definitely be trying to catch someone’s eyes, after all people from both Hampton and Howard will be there. Maybe you want to feel like Yoncé and her clique and have everyone look you guys up and down because of how fierce you all look. However your outfit from homecoming just isn’t exciting enough for you and your favorite LBD isn’t calling your name like it usually does. Don’t worry there are some trends from New York Fashion Week 2014 on and off the runaway to help spruce up your look and get some phone numbers by the end of the night.

Clothes: Ditch the black unless it’s paired with white, or go for softer hues like blush, lavender, mint green, and peach. If colors are too boring for you try something with a pattern and channel your inner Solange. You don’t have to wear a dress to show off your legs skirts can do the same; pleated skirts are in season that come in various lengths and instead of above the knee try tea length. Tuxedo inspired pants; wide leg and cropped trousers can elongate legs too. Tight doesn’t always mean right, shift blouses and dresses are in. Clothing with embellishments is for sure an eye grabber, but not too much embellishment before you look like a contestant from Toddlers and Tiara.  Cropped blouses and tops are great for showing off the midriff; everyone will get to see the abs you’ve been working on.

Shoes:  Cut outs used to only belong on your clothing but now they’re on your shoes that make cut out shoes perfect. Torn between boots and heels ankle boots are here to save the day. If you have decided on heels, a t-strap heel or lace up heel looks very vintage glam. A cute wedge never hurts plus your feet won’t hate as you much through out the night. It doesn’t hurt to try shoes with an unusual color, print or texture like the electric blue pumps or metallic open toed heels you thought were too crazy to wear.

Hair:  Your go to hair-do that people have started to identify you by just won’t cut it. While everyone is going big and curly, try straight and sleek. If you don’t have the time to straighten your hair, put it in a low bun or high ponytail and look chic. Side swoops and side parts are back so start perfecting that part, braids and beach waves are always fun.

Makeup: Move over Ruby Woo, orange is the new red. Orange lipstick looks great on almost every skin tone. Shades of berry and plum are very sultry and edgy. Blue or green eye shadow will make your eye twinkle like star. Nothing says mysterious like a good cat eye, practice those wings. Glowing skin in the middle of the winter is hard to come by but it looks beautiful. A natural look doesn’t hurt either; let your beauty do the talking for you.

– Kenya Baker