NBA Youngboy Ain’t Going Outside Any Time Soon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Kentrell DeSean Gaulden, otherwise known as NBA Youngboy was arrested this past weekend. He was considered a “fugitive from Georgia who allegedly committed assault, had outstanding weapons violations, and kidnapping.” Not too long after he was arrested, videos surfaced from a hotel in Waycross, Georgia of Youngboy pulling his girlfriend, Jania Jackson, to the ground. However, not only did police pull the footage in the hallways, but they also found blood on the floors of the hotel room under Youngboy’s name. Kentrell, really?

Twitter has been pulling receipts, not because of Youngboy’s arrest, but because of the response from his girlfriend, Jania. Jania has taken to social media to deny every allegation against what happened between the two. She took to periscope to explain the video from the hotel saying: “We were playing.”

“I said Kentrell I bet you can’t pull me…I bet you can’t pull me…..That video was us playing.” Jania goes on and on to explain in several videos that she and Youngboy are doing fine, she’s never been kidnapped or held against her will, and this is just one of the many times that they’ve been playing around. She even uses their age as an excuse to get body slammed. “We’re 18,” she says, “We play a lot”.

Before you ask, Yes. We are all confused, wondering if we should laugh at the situation or be concerned. I can’t keep the giggles from slipping every time I watch the video of Jania attempting to explain. However, I’m trying to understand if this is a cry for help. Some Twitter users are saying they believe Jania is taking the role of an abuse victim, others are saying she’s just dumb. The tapes don’t lie though. In the hotel video, Youngboy throws Jania to the floor and is dragging her, pinning her against the wall, and even managing to pull a shirt off of her body. I believe that what the public is witnessing here, a sad case of “riding until the wheels fall off”. Consistently denying the obvious, to help her “never-broke-again-rapper-boyfriend” from catching a felony charge.

If Kentrell is released anytime soon, I hope he takes the opportunity to understand that he, as a budding artist, should invest in some type of publicist or management for direction. As for Jania, she can probably take a couple of pointers from Mama Monique on how to present receipts to the public. If you ask me, Youngboy should’ve done a better job at hiding from the cameras.

Cover Photo Source Uforia Music

Jazmin Lee

Hampton U '20

Jazmin Lee is a junior, Biology major from the "Queen City" Charlotte, NC. Her hobbies include singing/writing music, reading everything from poetry to blogs, and of course......socializing. She is currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. 
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.