This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

By Jasmine Brockington

While the excitement of college, welcomes new friendships, living in a new place, having brand new freedom, and a chance to reinvent yourself becomes apparent, so does the wave of seasonal depression. 

Seasonal depression, or SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)  is defined from the Mayo Clinic as the ‘type of depression that is related to the changes in seasons and begins and ends at about the same times every year’. 

This type of depression is very common in individuals, especially in college. Especially when the semester is starting to get heavy and classes are starting to really pile up. It’s always okay to ask for help whenever dealing with mental health. When dealing with this type of depression, there are multiple ways that you can cope while also getting through the seasons with growth as well. 

Come to terms- The first step is to come to terms with the fact that you are dealing with this type of depression. When you start to realize that once Summer changes to Fall, or when Fall changes to Winter, you start to become more tired, irritable, or even more depressed, that’s when it is time to realize your diagnosis. Some symptoms of seasonal depression include loss of appetite, less interest in things that usually make you happy or bring you joy, problems sleeping, and having low energy. When coming to this realization, going to a professional or even some friends would be essential to not feel as alone.

Find an outlet- When dealing with your mental health, it is so important to find an outlet to soften your symptoms. For example, working out is a really good way to pump your blood and get your mind off anything that is bothering you. Also, simply spending time with your friends, journaling, doing yoga, and making sure you are always eating.  Hampton University always expresses the importance of student’s mental and always giving students a way to manage their mental health in different outlets as well. There is the Student Counseling Center, Peer Counselors, and even talking to your bigs can be helpful too. 

Spending time outside- Now, I know this might sound a little weird but honestly, the vitamin D that the sunlight brings you is so important. Hampton University has the perfect spot to just sit outside and enjoy the scenery- the waterfront! Being outside and surrounded by nature can help clear your mind, have a mental reset, and even a nice distraction by watching the sunset or sunrise. 

It is completely okay to come to terms with the diagnosis of seasonal depression because it is something that everyone goes through at least once in their lifetime. It’s important to not just sit in the depression and stay miserable. If you proactively try to better yourself through these tips, take care of yourself, and talk to a professional if needed, you will get through this and come out the other side even better! 

Jasmine Brockington is a second-year Journalism Major with a minor in cinema studies from Richmond, Virginia. She is a strong advocate for awareness of health in Black Women, mental health, beauty, and expressing her opinion on real-life topics. Jasmine loves to write, read, and work out at the gym. In her free time, she also enjoys writing poetry and journaling while listening to music.