Wellness > Sex + Relationships

My First Committed Relationship with Another Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

For the past 7 months, I’ve been in what I believe to be the best relationship of my life. My significant other is everything I need. They’re funny, understanding, fun-loving, and caring. I don’t think that I have been this happy in a relationship until now. Did I mention it’s a girl? Yes, this is my first committed relationship with another female. We met in our math class the fall semester of last year. And no, it wasn’t how you see it in the movies. We didn’t lock eyes immediately and hit it off right away. It wasn’t anything like that. Honestly, we didn’t give each other any sort of attention in Math 110.

We were too busy trying to understand how to calculate simple interest to pay attention to one another. We didn’t really start speaking until a mutual friend introduced us to each other. Even then we weren’t close, we were just friends. There was no chemistry between us whatsoever and frankly, neither one of us saw this coming. But, we got close one night after a party. After talking for three months (and yes I consider the “talking stage” as part of our relationship), she asked me to be her girlfriend. At first, I was nervous and quite hesitant to get into a relationship with a girl because all I could think of was, “how am I going to tell my mom?” and what everyone else would think. But, as time went on, I realized that she made me so happy and that’s all that matters. The thought of what other people would think was thrown out the window because I realized how happy I am with my girlfriend.

Over the summer I even came out to my mom. Shockingly, it wasn’t a disaster like I thought it would be. My mother was beyond accepting and said she loves me for who I am and as long as I am happy, she supports me – whoever I’m with. What I love so much about my relationship is that everything feels so natural. I have never been so comfortable with any other person the way that I am with her. To me, that is one of the biggest advantages of being in a relationship with someone of the same sex. My girlfriend understands everything I go through. Sometimes it can feel as if the world is falling apart and I am so stressed out. But, as soon as I get to talk to her, I feel like I can be 100% honest about anything and everything. Since we’re both girls, I truly feel as if she’s my best friend.

She’s been my shoulder to cry on and someone who I can bear my soul to when needed. I love how effortless our relationship is. We have the best time going to the movies or going out to eat. But, we can also chill, do absolutely nothing, or have a homework day and it’ll be so much fun. I never thought I could enjoy someone’s company as much as I do Shannon’s. Not only have I found someone I love, but, I also feel like I’ve learned so much about myself and that this relationship has helped me grow into an amazing person. My advice for anyone who is in a relationship is that if you’re happy and if your significant other treats you right, nothing else should matter.

Avari Fauconier a graduating senior, criminal justice major from Staten Island, New York. She enjoys drawing and writing in her spare time. Avari is also hoping to have a career as an FBI agent. She is a strong believer in self love and not letting fear or insecurities keeping you from trying new things.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.