Family Holiday Traditions I Just Can’t Live Without in 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It truly is the most wonderful time of the year. The overwhelming excitement that comes with Christmas and the holiday season is a feeling that has always been unmatched. As I grow into adulthood, I reminisce back on the moments of the holiday season that I continue to cherish and hold so near and dear to my heart. The holiday season shows the art of giving, the importance of family, friendship, and feelings of love and joy. Regardless of how you spend your holiday season, it’s a time where everyone can find comfort in the nearing of the new year, while appreciating the loved ones around them. Christmas has always been my favorite holiday because of the excitement and traditions that my family and I continue to keep alive. 

The feelings of nostalgia and embracing my inner child are always brought up when the holiday season comes around. Though I am older now, that same excitement I once had when I was younger still remains present, and that is one of the many reasons I love Christmas. My family loves to indulge in many different holiday activities leading up to Christmas that fill the holiday season with so much joy and cheer. One thing in particular, is our ability to fill our house with as many Christmas decorations that we can. Not only is this a fun thing to do around the holiday season, but it makes the days leading up to Christmas all the more exciting. Among one of my favorite holiday traditions my family and I have been doing for as long as I can remember, is buying matching Christmas PJs with my siblings and taking our annual Christmas photos on Christmas Eve. It’s always heartwarming to see the photographs from each year and seeing how we  have grown in our own unique ways. 

Of course, it wouldn’t truly be Christmas without a wonderful dinner. For my family, Christmas dinner is like a second Thanksgiving… literally. The food lover I am will always have an appreciation for the times when my family comes together to prepare and eat a big dinner like the ones we share on Christmas evening. Sharing memories, laughs, and so much unconditionally love, I’ve grown to realize that Christmas is, and always has been so much deeper than the gifts or all the holiday cheer. It has been deeply rooted in celebrating the birth of Christ by giving back and being surrounded by the ones who love you the most. Finding the beauty in the art of giving and showing gratitude is what it’s all about. Christmas is truly a constant reminder of all the things we have to be grateful for. So with that being said, I wish the best holiday season upon each and everyone one of you and pray that you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Zoë Rose

Hampton U '25

Zoë Rose is currently third year Journalism major with an emphasis on English & Creative Writing from Watchung, New Jersey. When she's not writing, she enjoys listening to music, spending time with friends, and doing yoga <3