This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

You might have seen this hashtag: #wordoftheyear on your Instagram feed lately. This new trend includes selecting a single word that defines your goals for the year. Of course, you can tailor it to your needs and choose more than one word but I have chosen one. I’ll share it with you and explain how I plan to live by it in 2020. 

Word of the Year: Breathe 

What it means to me: For me, the word breathe means taking a step back and resting before coming back to a situation or task. Often times I find myself overthinking and becoming stressed. It may be an assignment that has been driving me insane or a conversation that suddenly went south. Regardless of the cause, this year it is necessary to breathe.

How I plan on living it: In order to “breathe” properly, I plan on writing out my thoughts or frustrations in a journal. I realize from past situations that it’s unhealthy to hold in emotions. Instead, I’ll put my thoughts and feelings to paper. The best way to do it is in a quiet space where no one can interrupt the therapeutic process. Just me, myself, and I! 

What’s helping: When I do need to “breathe” I’m going to use my favorite type of journal: the Moleskine Classic Notebook. You can get ruled, squared, or even bullet journals! They’re very pristine and small enough to fit in your bag. You can easily get a set of three at your local Barnes & Noble. Another useful and fun thing that will help me breathe is bullet journaling. This is a habit I developed previously that I will be continuing in the new year. It’s very relaxing and allows me to get my thoughts together and express myself through art. I love making mood charts, calendars, to-do lists, and just about everything! Writing is a great way to relax and I encourage you to try it out.

Another thing that will definitely help me to “breathe” is getting a good night’s rest. Sleep is essential and as college students, it gives us the energy we need to start the day right. And we all know what that means – finishing assignments early is a must! 

Don’t forget that naps are important, too! When I have time between classes, I try to take at least a 30-minute nap to refresh and clear my mind. 

I hope that this encourages you to think of your own word for 2020. Just think about something that you want to change in your life. Try to summarize it in one word and voilà: you’ve got your word of the year!

Camille Birdsong is a Her Campus National Writer for the Style section. She writes weekly articles about all things fashion, beauty, lifestyle, and decor. Beyond Her Campus, Camille works as an Associate Producer for CNN Max. She previously worked at NBC News, where she produced heartwarming stories for the TODAY Show audience and viewers nationwide. Camille graduated in 2022 with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Leadership Studies at Hampton University. She was the Director and Line Producer of her university’s newscast and has interned at NBC Nightly News, the TODAY Show and the Weekend TODAY Show. Camille is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated and is passionate about sharing community-driven stories. In her downtime, she loves creating content, visiting new cafes, and obsessing over reality dating shows.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!