Must Know Ariana Grande Songs For All Your Relationship Feels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

From Broadway Icon to Pop Princess, Ariana Grande has made a name for herself through her famously high ponytail and heavenly vocals. Over the years, her music has skyrocketed on the charts in all countries around the world. She covers a number of topics throughout her songs, but one that is most prominent is love. From flings, to makeups, to breakups, Ariana Grande shares all her relationship experiences through her music. Not only does she sing about the cupcake phase, but she also focuses on the darker side of relationships and the baggage that comes with it. In her music, you are sure to find a song you relate to for any stage of your relationship. 

We’ve all gotten that feeling. You know the one. Where you lay your eyes on someone so perfect and it’s like the whole world comes to a halt. You get butterflies in your stomach and you just have to know their name. The feelings are indescribable and almost… surreal. Ariana Grande describes this as being “tongue-tied and twisted” in her cute, bubbly single ‘Baby I’ off of her first album ‘Yours Truly’. Throughout the song, she expresses the love she has for her crush and how she just can’t put into words how they make her feel! We can all relate to the excitement, curiosity and nervousness that comes with the first few moments of developing a crush. When you find yourself struggling to put words together for that special someone, ‘Baby I’ is the perfect song to relate to.

After finding the perfect one, you can’t just jump into the relationship right? You have to play it cool, let them know you have standards and boundaries that are not to be crossed! This is the time to pick up on their vibes and decide if this is someone you really want to be with. You’re in the beginning steps of the talking stage, but if they want to make it to the next level they have to prove themselves. Ariana Grande explains in her song ‘Be My Baby’ what it takes to be her lover and stay her lover. This R&B influenced track talks about being consistent with someone, and not just talking the talk, but also walking the walk. The lyrics “Just show me everything I need to see, I’ll give you anything boy” definitely hits home because sometimes we find ourselves giving our all when the person doesn’t deserve it. ‘Be My Baby’ is the perfect reminder to lay everything out on the table and determine whether or not this person is the right one for you. 

Whew! You made it through the talking stage and it has blossomed into a beautiful relationship. The feelings you have for this person are super intense, some might even call you love-struck. Time flies by when you are with them, and you never want to leave their side. Things are starting to heat up and you all are ready to take the next step. Ariana Grande sings about her and her boo’s passionate love affairs in her single ‘Adore’, where she describes feeling a love so deep that she doesn’t want anything more than to make love. We have all felt that strong attraction, where you just want to stay inside and take things slow. Ariana Grande tells her lover “just don’t pretend you’re just a friend” in hopes of seeing a different side of them. This part of the relationship can be the most exciting and ‘Adore’ is the perfect song to add to any special playlist. 

Many months have gone by and the relationship just feels so good…until it doesn’t. You may begin to question who your partner really is and who they have become right before your eyes. It’s like they’ve done a whole 180°! Although the love you feel is unconditional, there are just some things you cannot accept. Throughout her song ‘In My Head’, Ariana Grande goes into detail about how she has fallen in love with a version of a person she’s created in her head. She has come to the realization that the relationship is now toxic. She wants to help them and try to fix their problems, but in the end, she knows that it is not her role. While being caught up in the feelings of a relationship, we oftentimes have clouded judgement, causing us to lose touch with reality. Ariana Grande wraps up the song with “I saw your potential without seeing credentials, maybe that’s the issue”, where she realizes that it was her own fault for thinking her partner was a better person. In cases like these, it is hard to know what to do next. Do you leave the person you love for your own benefit? ‘In My Head’ is a very relatable song when it comes to this topic and can give you a sense of comfort in tough situations like this. 

Well..unfortunately, the relationship didn’t work out and it’s time to move on. This part can be very emotional, as you may still have residual feelings for one another. Take all the time you need to be in your feelings, this is healthy and a normal coping mechanism. However, there comes a point in time where you need to realize that maybe this relationship taught you a few lessons. Ariana Grande tells us that her past relationships taught her about love, patience and pain in her first #1 single ‘thank u, next’. In this song, she name drops several of her exes, but flips the narrative to say “thank you” for helping her realize that the most important thing is to love and be patient with yourself. We can all learn from this break-up anthem, as we reflect back on the highs and lows of our previous relationships. This song preaches self love and how there’s “no need for searching” for the perfect one, when you are content with yourself. Of course it is okay to want a romantic relationship, but ‘thank u, next’ is a reminder that you can use your past experiences to build you into a better person, so that when ‘the one’ comes along, you know exactly how to handle things. 

There is no doubt that Ariana Grande has been through the same relationship ups and downs as we have. She communicates messages through her songs to those who may not be able to understand what they are feeling. From cute flings to break-ups, Ariana Grande knows how you are feeling. Whether you are just starting a relationship or fresh out of a break up, is it safe to say that her music can leave an impact on us all. 

Miah Robertson is a Freshman Psychology major and Leadership Studies minor from Durham, North Carolina. Her dream career includes becoming a research psychologist and eventually opening up her own behavioral health facility for children! She currently serves as the Freshman Class Treasurer, where she is fulfilling her goals of making an impact on campus. In her free time, Miah loves to paint, learn about astrology, and cook her favorite junk foods!
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!