This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Fall is finally among us and I couldn’t be happier! Fall is definitely the season that people look forward to not only because of the cool weather, orange leaves, and themed drinks, but most importantly for the versatility of fashion that fall brings. Fall is personally one of my favorite seasons because I can easily combine style and comfort. The clothes I get to wear from mid-September through the end of November include my most beloved pieces, and there are so many fun fall occasions to dress for. Fall brings out many style options that just aren’t possible in the scorching summer. Within the following categories I have provided my favorite garments and recommendations for the season!

Shoes

Earlier I mentioned I like to combine style and comfort which is why shoes are really important for me. For quick errands or events with little walking, I like to pull out the Ugg slippers. The slippers come in all kinds of cute colors and prints to choose from. However, I also know how expensive those cute fluffy Ugg slippers are. If you’re trying to save, I recommend the Ugg slipper dupes from Ego Official, an instagram shoe brand. They’re actually called the Boo Fluffy Stripe Slipper and they’re made with faux fur. 

For more fun outings with, or personal outings just to look cute. I like to pull out my favorite sneakers like my Converse, Jordans, and combat boots. My style lies more on the line of streetwear and I occasionally dapple with chic looks. I even try to combine the two when possible. In the fall I try to lean towards brown sneakers. Of course sneakers tend to run on the expensive end so I got you all with some dope sneakers under $100 that I love: Converse CX, Nike Cortez, Adidas Continental, Vans Old Skool, and Blazer ‘77 Vintage. As for boots, I love Doc Martens, but a cheap alternative is Koask Round Toe Lace-Up Ankle Boot or Ego Official’s Squadron Pocket Detail Lace Up Biker Boot.

Bottoms

I’m a huge fan of baggy jeans! I think they allow you to not only be cute but most importantly, comfortable. You can wear them with a big top, little top, or even a “out for the evening top”. Baggy jeans just offer a form of style and comfort that skinny jeans don’t. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good pair of form fitting jeans, but baggy jeans have my heart. My favorite place to get baggy jeans is The Kript. Their jeans fit true to size and good material. My favorite pair are the Gavin Jeans and the Casper Boyfriend Jeans. Next to baggy jeans, I keep a few pairs of cargo pants. I truly to only wear them in the fall so I mostly own neutrals and brown pairs. I like to get my cargo pants from Boohoo Men. I feel like the men’s section offers a better variety. Lastly, leather pants are my favorite for going out late with friends, parties (pre-covid), etc. I like to get my leather pants from Pretty Little Thing or House of CB. 

Tops/Jackets

My closet is full of graphic tees, oversized and normal, sweatshirts, and dozens of hoodies. I love to layer these items. For example, a turtleneck with an oversized sweatshirt on top with either baggy jeans or a pleated skirt. I also like flannel, especially tan and brown flannel. I like to pair them with basic tops and sweats. Turtlenecks are an essential that can be styled almost any way. I also recommend leather jackets and tailored blazers. Blazers can be styled with a basic top and tailored pants or even with a hoodie. It’s all about preference and comfort. Lastly, I can’t forget about sweatsuits! If you’re a fan of Nike sweatsuits but want to save some money I recommend sweatsuits by Samii Ryan. Her brand has a mix of cute graphic sweaters and sweatpants that are a tad cheaper than Nike. If you really want to save I suggest Gildan sweatshirts and pants in neutrals and brands. They’re comfortable and highly affordable. 

Accessories 

Sorry to disappoint you all, but I don’t wear purses frequently. I do enjoy clutches and different forms of fanny packs. Nevertheless, I recommend bags from Shein and Misguided. They come in a variety of styles and colors while remaining affordable. I do, however, love jewelry. I love wearing stacked necklaces and having my earrings match my outfit. Places like Target, Melanie Marie (black owned), and Vibeszn offer reasonably priced jewelry that’s well crafted. 

At the end of the day, fall is your time to be creative and comfortable. Enjoy every moment of the season! Whether you own well known brands or alternatives, you are capable of putting together an amazing fall wardrobe. If you’re out shopping, think of me, happy fall!

Kamiel Beckley

Hampton U '23

Kamiel Beckley is a biochemistry major and leadership studies minor from Louisville, Kentucky. She attends the illustrious Hampton University. Kamiel enjoys traveling and creating. Her goal is to pursue biomedical research while also maintaining her love for writing and art.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!