Migos Are Teaching A Culture Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

The same trendsetting trio that brought you your current favs “Bad and Bougie” and “T-Shirt”, have actually expanded their talents and ‘smarts’ to something a bit unusual for hip-hop artists. On January 28th of 2017, two of the three group members of Migos, Quavo and Takeoff, stepped in as professors at NYU, and actually taught a seminar on culture to film and music students.

Migos has been dubbed by director, producer, comedian, and musical artist (and honestly so much more) Childish Gambino, as the “modern day Beatles.” – “Migos Culture Class is Far From “Bad and Boujee”, Washington Square News. Migos’ seminar shed light on different matters very prevalent in our society today especially as millennials. Migos initiated conversation about the significant influence social media has on digital marketing as being ‘bad and bougie’ has become a “mood” all across its spectrum, and their other lyrics have been transformed into different memes and hashtags. The group also illustrates how Migos has made a major impact on hip-hop history and culture.

While many students were questioning the validity of Migos’ seminar, after the rap group had come and gone many students claimed the class had been very different than what they expected. The ‘Culture Class’ had mostly positive reviews of it being “humorous, and engaging”. Aside from their personal musical careers, hip-hop artists have successfully found careers as entrepreneurs, filmmakers, model, designers and more. Loads of music lovers, especially hip-hop fanatics, are fascinated by what next may be in store for hip-hop artists, and how the culture of hip-hop may reconstruct in the future.

Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.