Culture > News

Mask-Wearing is More than Just a Fashion Statement: You are saving a life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

The Covid-19 virus is something that has completely taken over our new world. Drastically changing the way people handle their health and sanitation. In some ways, it did make a positive transition, making the population start to truly understand the effects they cause to someone else when they aren’t considerate of space and health. Yet sadly, when people aren’t careful, and rules and regulations are made but not followed they can result in the loss of many people’s lives. Especially in the US, ranked number in cases of almost 7 million with over 200 thousand deaths. 

Knowing these statistics and the science behind the spread of Covid, you would think that more people would be inclined to wearing masks and staying six feet apart. Mainly because that is the biggest advice given by researchers and doctors to combat the spread, yet at least 16% of Americans still don’t wear a mask in public and 24% still believe that masks are ineffective at preventing the spread of the coronavirus. This doesn’t come without any political influence. Being that wearing masks is not a federal law, only 32 states have mandated rules that everyone must wear these masks in public places. Yet still many people in these states still don’t wear a mask either because they have “medical issues” or simply don’t want to. 

The thing about this virus is that it has taken over our society for the last 7 months and looking at the statistics there is no clear time of when it is going to slow down. People continue to congregate in large numbers with no masks standing very close together. As well as refusing to believe that taking the extra precautions of washing and sanitizing regularly has any effect on their or others’ health. Wearing a mask is more than just being able to wear a cute design on your face or a tool used to separate the beliefs of people. It is a way that we can all stay a little bit healthier, without catching a sneeze or cough from a random stranger in the store that may have previously been with someone with Covid. There is no definite way of knowing you have recently or in the past gotten tested. So, until that happens it is best to wear your masks for the 30 mins it takes you to go grocery shopping. There are worse positions you can be in, like being the employee on the other side of the counter having to wear it 8 hours a day 5 days a week. It is more than just a political view or a fashion statement. Masks save lives.

Nia Tate

Hampton U '23

Hi, girlies! My name is Nia Tate and I am a Graduating Senior Health Sciences Major and Sociology from Seattle, Washington. I aspire to work at a non-profit organization that works towards equity in the health care system. A lot of my hobbies include yoga/meditation, kickboxing, trips to the lake, and upcycling old clothes into creating something new. I also aspire to travel the world and experience all different types of cultures and fashion. Some of my dream destinations I hope to visit include Japan, Brazil, and Greece!
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!