samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Managing Your Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Many students in college join different activities and clubs along with being a student to enhance their college experience. These activities may vary from a sports team, a Greek organization, academic clubs and even part time jobs. While engaged in these different activities, some may lose track of their time and find themselves stressed because everything tends to be overwhelming. Although it is nearly impossible to completely avoid stress, having time management skills will definitely help limit the stress.

Below are 5 helpful tips on how to be successful at managing your time:

1. Keep a schedule of all of your activities you have planned for the week. When you have a physical copy of your agenda, its pretty hard for you to forget something that is supposed to get done.

2. Give each activity that you’re involved in a time limit. When you write down everything you have to do, just looking at it may seem very intimidating. When you limit each activity you’ll find yourself getting more accomplished.

3. Learn how to give yourself down time. When people make schedules of everything they have to do, they usually think that it all has to get done at once. That is not the way to go. There should be some time for relaxation in your day because if there isn’t any resting time in your day, you will more than likely not complete your activities proficiently.

4. Release yourself from all distractions. In situations when work needs to be done, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter are not your best friends. Unless those networks are benefiting your activities stay away from them.

5. Adjust your list of activities on a regular basis. New tasks may be brought to your attention that you may have to add. Change the order of priorities and eliminate activities once they are completed.

School and extracurriculars will increase your stress levels, it is someting natural that happens. But to avoid stress, confusion, and anxiety manage your time efficiently! You will quickly see a change in mood while feeling great about completeting your many tasks.

My name is Tara Strigler. I am a sophomore Strategic Communications major marketing minor from New Jersey. My career plan after graduation is to become a publicist preferably for Iconic's in NYC. I plan to live in Brooklyn, NY and travel the world.