This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

“Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard”

Today is probably one of the most shocking days for a lot of lives. Not only was Kobe an amazing father, husband, son, and teammate but he was a mentor. A mentor to not only his peers but to millions around the world. I’ve been scrolling through social media since 2 p.m and at first, when I saw the news it was only out for roughly 14 minutes. All I kept thinking was “Why do people lie and drag everything?” But curiosity snuck up on me and there I was googling Kobe Bryant. Still, in disbelief, I kept refreshing my Instagram feed to confirm. I know it’s silly but the Shaderoom updates its audience a lot as well. All I kept seeing was post on top of post and by the time those 14 minutes turned into about an hour of me realizing that not only did I know Mr. Bryant as one of the greatest basketball players of all time but also as a legend. He was and still is the definition of impact. He was and still is the definition of change. You do not have to be the biggest NBA fan let alone watch basketball games to know his name. This pain hits differently. This is a story we all can relate to. One thing that stood out to me about this tragedy was seeing the emotions of people he had touched through his 20-year reign as the Black Mamba. The name speaks for itself. Kobe’s work ethic is how he gained the name. He picked the perfect nickname because of how dangerous he was on the court, how smooth he played the game and how unfriendly he was. “That’s what separated him on the court. We ain’t just say Kobe when we shot into the trash can for no reason. He inspired a whole generation” said Mohamed Bah. “His legacy will live on forever.”  

The news became even more of a nightmare we all wanted to wake up from when it was confirmed that his mini-me, Gianna Maria-Onore Bryant, also was killed in the horrific helicopter tragedy. Being her dad’s protege, she wanted to carry on the Mamba legacy despite being a girl. Fans complained about Kobe not having a son to carry on his basketball legacy; Gianna was ready and gearing up to accept the challenge. She became MAMACITA and created her own path while chasing after her dream of being in the WNBA. While this is a tragedy, Kobe and Gianna were not the only victims and I would like to pay my respects to the 7 others that unfortunately lost their lives today. Today I learned about Kobe Bryant and who he was. I’m still learning. My heart was broken. No, I didn’t personally know him and no I didn’t watch his games, but I now I know who Kobe Bean Bryant is. Not only was he an amazing athlete, but the way he carried himself and how he carried millions throughout his career will forever be remembered.

Anisa Saigo

Hampton U '20

My name Is Anisa Saigo and I am a senior journalism major, liberal studies minor from Brooklyn, N.Y. I enjoy everything that has to do with entertainment, fashion, and anything beauty related!
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.