jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Make Your New Year’s Resolutions Count

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Although New Year’s is truly one of the best times to implement new goals and challenges into our lives, we’re all a little guilty of making a long list of resolutions and not checking off all the boxes. 

For most of us it’s going to the gym, subtracting something from your diet, or adding something to your daily routine.  Most of us appreciate the spirit of the new year bringing in new goals and intentions. But there is a crowd with a more pessimistic outlook on the tradition and the idea of waiting until New Years to make changes in your life. However, the only real problem and stigma surrounding New Year’s Resolutions is the tendency we have to not keep them. Of course, there are people who can. However, it is extremely common for us to set goals and have given up on them by the time April or May rolls around. Let’s break this pattern in 2020. Here are some ways to set and keep your resolutions. 

The first thing to note is that growth (real growth) is not on a 365 day cycle. True growth appears only on your personal calendar. That’s why it’s important to be realistic and start small. Don’t attempt to grow into a new person or change your whole life around in 365 days. Put more emphasis on setting simple goals that you want to turn into habits for the years beyond this one. If you never work out, making a commitment to start working out everyday might be setting yourself up to fail. Start with a run every other day and work your way up to a bigger commitment. This doesn’t mean you can’t challenge yourself but if you miss a workout one day, don’t beat yourself up. Don’t let small setbacks lead to the demise of your goals. Prepare for obstacles and accept the fact that you are not perfect.

Now that you’ve set realistic goals and moved past the obstacles, find your motivation. Maybe you’ve chosen to give up sugar for part of the month. Ask a friend or family member to join you. A partner that will commit to setting and keeping goals with you is motivating.

Lastly, track your progress. When you’re able to physically see yourself accomplish goals it only inspires you to create more challenges for yourself. Whether it be journaling or taking pictures, make sure to document your achievements and setbacks. Record it even when you’re not on track. By doing this you’ll learn exactly how realistic you’ve been with yourself. It’s hard to lie to yourself when you can (or can’t) see your own progression!  

There are various ways to keep your New Year’s resolutions in place but this is a good start. Keep these suggestions in mind when setting your daily, weekly, and monthly goals. Be intentional and have faith in yourself. Happy New Year!

Andi McCloud

Hampton U '20

I'm so excited to write for and with my HerCampus HamptonU Chapter.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!