Make Sure Your Natural Curls Survive The Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Fall is coming to a close, and with the holidays right around the corner, it’s time to prepare for colder weather. For some, that means buying gloves and hot chocolate. However, for my natural sisters, this means protecting our hair from the harsh winter weather. Here are several tips to make sure the cold doesn’t damage your tresses:

1. Protective styles

Natural hair has a tendency to dry out as it gets colder. This can be detrimental to your ends. To keep them safe and healthy, try using a protective style. Braids and Marley twists are great ways to protect your hair from the harsh winter weather. Updos and buns are also a good alternative.

2. Beware of coconut oil

Coconut oil is often seen as the holy grail of hair products. However pure coconut oil changes its consistency based on the temperature. While it melts at high temperatures, it tends to become rock solid as it gets colder. As winter approaches, the coconut oil you use in your hair can harden or even freeze when you go outside. Instead, try using a different type of oil. Many use castor oil or jojoba oil during the colder months, just to be on the safe side.

3. Hats: Satin Bonnets aren’t just for the bedroom

Winter is a time to bundle up in scarves, mittens, and more importantly hats. However, the lining of your hat isn’t always compatible with your natural hair texture. Similar to sleeping on a pillow without a scarf, certain materials can dry and tear out your hair. To protect your hair, use a satin scarf or bonnet to cover the lining of your hat. Take your scarf and then place your hat on top. Another way to protect your hair is to buy a hat with a satin lining already in there.

4. Deep conditioning is your friend

Deep conditioning your hair once a week can help add extra moisture to dry hair. Trust me, you’re going to need it for these next couple of months. It also can help add shine and repair breakage. While you can just use a store bought hair masque, there are several ingredients you can add to remix your product in order to get better results. You can add eggs, mayonnaise, or avocado to add protein that will strengthen your hair. Bananas also are great for strengthening your hair. They help with moisture and contain various vitamins. Honey has antibacterial qualities and can help hydrate your hair and scalp. Adding oil is another way to get added moisture. You can use castor oil for thickness, jojoba oil which softens the hair, and olive oil which seals in extra moisture. Mix any combination of these ingredients with the deep conditioner your already using for a more intense and effective treatment.

5. Make sure it’s completely dry

I know we all love our wash and gos, but sometimes we leave the house with damp hair. However, wet hair and cold weather do not mix. You could risk getting sick if your hair isn’t completely dry. Instead of air drying, try using a hair dryer with a diffuser to get curl definition. To avoid heat damage, make sure you put it on the lowest temperature setting.

The winter time will easily dry out curly hair. With these tips and tricks you can make sure your hair survives the holiday season.

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.