absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

A resounding “U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A!” chant came from a packed room in the White House on October 28th, following a patriotic speech by 45. Can you guess who was in attendanc? Around 300 black conservatives, between the ages of 15-35, who proudly wore their Make America Great Again hats.

The Young Black Leadership Summit took place from October 25-28 at the White House. The Black communities uninvited cookout guests; Candace Owens, Ben Carson, and Stacey Dash, spearheaded this event for young Black conservatives who love Trump. Writing someone off just because they have different and unconventional ideals is wrong, so let’s further analyze. Below is an excerpt from the Black Conservative Movement on why you should support them:

“For too long, the Democrat Party in America has led the African-American community on, promising a better life in exchange for their votes, without ever delivering on that promise. From the forming of the KKK, to record low unemployment in the black community, the time has finally come for us to put our foot down. We aren’t fools. We are walking away.

Our movement supports the Republican Party, and our President of the United States, Donald J. Trump. Delivering on the promises he made, unemployment in the black community continues to decrease after the failed Obama Administration, blacks are becoming more educated, and the economy continues to boom. Promises were made. Promises were kept. It’s time to ignore words, and focus on actions.”

Did that convince you?

A lot of their statements are rooted in ignorance. Ignorance in the literal sense…lack of education or knowledge.  They believe the current Democratic party formed the KKK. They believe the political parties never switched. Fake. News. The political parties as we know them today, Republican and Democrat, were not always that way. The Democratic party was originally aligned with southern conservative policies favoring small government, and the Republican party was originally in favor of big government. During the late 1860s through the early 1930s, the platforms of the parties switched. Fact. So, to attribute Democrats today who fight for social justice, economic equality, and government programs to the Klan is far-fetched. They also accredit the current low African-American unemployment rate solely to Trump and refuse to acknowledge the significant decrease from 16.8% to 7.8% under the Obama Administration.    

I’m not falling for it, are you ? Comment down below your thoughts on the Young Black Leadership Summit and the Black Conservative Movement.

Loryn Hairston

Hampton U '20

"She is clothed with STRENGTH & DIGINITY Prov. 31:25" Lo. 20 y/o. ny. strategic communications major pre-law track, c/o 20. writer + future esq. + avid reader.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com