This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This may sound cliche, but self love truly is the best love. Before you can take the time to love anyone else in this world, you have to love yourself first. Let’s be honest here, at least one point in everyone’s lives, they have longed  for the love of someone else. Yes, that feeling is nice, but I’m telling you, loving yourself feels ten times better. When you don’t love yourself, you are constantly looking for someone or something else to fill that void. A lot of times, not loving yourself can lead you looking for love in all the wrong places and in relationships with people who can cause more damage. You may start putting the needs of the other person in the relationship before your own needs, constantly trying to cater to them to keep that “love”. Whether it be a friendship, a romantic relationship, or even a situationship, this can lead to you to being taken advantage of when they see that you are willing to do anything keep them.     

Loving yourself is all about mindset. You have to learn to appreciate who you are and what you have. Most times, not loving yourself can stem from deeper insecurities within. Other times, it can be because someone else in your past has broken you down to a point where you lose sight of the value that you truly possess. Well I am here to remind you that YOU ARE ENOUGH. Simple phrases like this can help in regaining that love for yourself again. Reminding yourself of who you are and your worth can make you fall in love with yourself all over again. That is the beautiful part of this whole thing. It is when you love yourself that you are most fit for a relationship. When someone loves themselves, it is like being dressed in the finest, most expensive clothing. Everyone wants it, but only few can have it. It creates a mesmerizing energy that exudes from you that attracts everyone who you come in counter with and makes other people want you even more. Treating yourself like the royalty that you are sets higher standards for what you look for in relationships that you get into. Don’t let anyone call you boujee or self centered because you like to treat yourself, and don’t let anyone else come around thinking that they can treat you any less than the best, you deserve it!  In the words of Drake, know yourself, know your worth, and remember, no one can really love you the way you’re supposed to be loved if you aren’t loving yourself!

Kayla Smith

Hampton U '23

Kayla Smith is a sophomore journalism major from Columbia, MD. She enjoys writing, listening to music and traveling. She is very excited to be attending Hampton University and to expand her skills at her illustrious HBCU.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.