This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

On April 12th, the comedy, Little made its debut in theaters worldwide. The film was written by Tracy Oliver and Tina Gordon Chism. Tina Gordon Chism also directed the film. 14-year-old Marsai Martin (TV’s Black-ish) stars in and executive produces Universal Pictures’ LITTLE, a comedy from producer Will Packer (Girls Trip, Ride Along and Think Like a Man series) based on an idea the young actress pitched. Directed by Tina Gordon, the film tells the story of a woman who-when the pressures of adulthood become too much to bear-gets the chance to relive the carefree life of her younger self.

Overall it was a good movie with a good message but I expected more. I felt like they showed majority of the movie in the trailer so I had nothing really to look forward to, but it was pretty predictable. The message behind the movie is what helped the movie’s existence. This movie tells viewers that black girls and women often offer one another invaluable support even when no one else will grant them opportunities. Early in Little, the adult Jordan tells April that she had to pitch her company 17 times before any investors would say yes to a black woman in tech; by the end of the film, that number takes on a new significance after Jordan takes a chance on April’s idea for a new app. Another message was that holding onto old hurt from when you were younger can stunt your growth as an adulthood. Viewers can interpret this as the movie progresses. The cast was phenomenal but I don’t think it lived up to its full potential as much as it could have. The rated PG-13 movie got 47% on Rotten Tomatoes so far and 80% of the people liked it.

Little’s humor comes from Martin, who is a pleasure to watch, especially as she body-swapped adult Jordan. Most viewers might know her as Diane Johnson, one of the children on ABC’s Black-ish, but in the film Martin gives an impressive lead performance. Go watch Little in theaters now!

Anyaé Johns

Hampton U '21

Anyaé Johns is a graduating senior Journalism major/Leadership Studies and Cinema Studies minor from New Jersey. Anyaé is a part of the William R. Harvey Leadership Institute, HerCampus, NAACP, Phi Eta Sigma, and the Hampton Script. She is a writer and a mentor.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com