Letter to Myself: Journey of Self-Love and Discovery through Cuffing Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Dear Self,

I know this season seems lonely. Seeing other happy couples on your feed laughing, kissing, and having the inside jokes. But remember that there is no reason to fall into a pit of desperation and sadness; this never solves the root of the issue, self-love.

Although it may sound cheesy, self-love is not a one stop ephiany you have one day that makes you feel all put together again. It is a journey of self discovery and understanding the core of what makes you, you. From loving your muffin top to doing those hobbies that you haven’t done in years. Feels like a lifetime worth of work but in the end you reach a sense of security that you’ve never felt before. And I’m not talking about the trust you put in other people’s hands to catch you when you fall. But the feeling that you are content with your life and no longer feel like there is a need for someone else to do the job for you. Being a strong, independent women doesn’t happen over night-I wish it did-but the slow growth of acceptance makes everything worth it in the end.

I know last year was not the easiest. Going through an emotional rollercoaster, isolated from everyone you knew and loved, and seeing no end in sight. But I also know that you made probably the most self growth you’ve ever done in your life. Your freshmen year was fun, yes but coming back home you took everything you learned from friendships and those awkward situations hips to evolve in so many ways. Finally in your first stage of glow-up. Holding your self to a higher standard, walking taller and more confident, and never trying to change myself for other people.

Self-love is not a sprint but a marathon. Not feeling the need to rush things but to take them as the come and soon people with feel that energy radiate off of you. Feeling as though you are in such good spirit that they then become attached to you.

I am not sure where you’ll be in the next 5 to 10 years, but the future is looking bright!

Love, A Friend <3

Nia Tate

Hampton U '23

Hi, girlies! My name is Nia Tate and I am a Graduating Senior Health Sciences Major and Sociology from Seattle, Washington. I aspire to work at a non-profit organization that works towards equity in the health care system. A lot of my hobbies include yoga/meditation, kickboxing, trips to the lake, and upcycling old clothes into creating something new. I also aspire to travel the world and experience all different types of cultures and fashion. Some of my dream destinations I hope to visit include Japan, Brazil, and Greece!