Letter to my Freshman Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Dear Freshman Me:

Welcome to college! It’s time to get out of your comfort zone, make a name for yourself, and make the best of your next four years. I know it seems discouraging at times, because everyone else makes it seem like they’re pros at this whole “Hampton woman” thing and they know something that you don’t. Don’t get into the habit of comparing yourself to others, you can’t focus on someone else’s race and still try to run your own. There’s something and someone for everyone here at Hampton, you just have to be willing to put yourself out there to find it.

“Honestly, Hampton is what you make it. I’d encourage everyone to get involved with their class by joining a committee that they enjoy,” said Violet A. (‘18). “Talk to the people in your dorm often, and get involved in your major. If you’re wondering how to get involved in something, all you have to do is ask!”

Don’t be afraid to ask questions and to talk to people who are doing the things you’re interested in doing to see how you can get involved. As a freshman, other students on campus will understand where you’re coming from since they were in your shoes at one point. Find people with similar interests as you, or who were involved in the same things in high school that you were. Don’t be afraid to try something new either! Freshman year is the year of trial and error, so get out there and get involved in something you wouldn’t normally do – who knows you just might like it.

Third year Biology Pre-Med major, Christina C (‘18) said, “Don’t let yourself get caught up in the hype of having the look of a Hampton woman. Yes, it’s important to always look your best but don’t go into overdrive and start buying things just because everyone else has them.”

Hampton has a bad habit of giving off an impression that you have to have a certain look to make it at this school, and that’s not the case. You do not need a new outfit for every 12-2, nor do you need to go shopping every other week to keep up with the trends. Find your own style and become comfortable in it. Your confidence in yourself will speak louder than anything and make a better impression than clothes ever could.

If you ever find yourself feeling down and discouraged, the campus Counseling Center and Chapel are great places to go to get some encouragement. Our Student Support Services do a great job of pairing you with a Peer Counselor if needed, and they offer free counseling sessions as well.

Your four years here are what you make it. So start with an open mind, be ready to step out of your comfort zone, and remember why you’re here in the first place!

Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.