Black And Anxious Hero
Black And Anxious Hero
Rebecca Hoskins / Her Campus Media
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

A Letter to the Ladies: How to Avoid Being Played

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Getting into entanglements and “talking” are both popular ways our generation likes to describe dating without really doing it. These titles are supposed to make relationships stress free but really, they just add to the confusion. They inevitably generate the heavy and awkward question, “what are we?” So to help out my ladies during this Boo’d Up season, (sorry fellas) here’s some advice on how to not get played – straight from the players themselves.

Men will make it clear if they are interested in you; don’t try to force anything. Advice that was given across the board was to take the signs that you are given. If he’s not calling you and he’s not texting you, he’s keeping you around for an ego boost. He knows that when he calls, you’re going to pick up. A man is going to mess with who he wants. If he really wanted to, he would. He’s not playing hard to get. If you keep pursuing him, it will not do anything but push him away. Don’t waste your time! Find someone that actually likes you.

Learning how to read people will be the best skill you pick up because another way to not get played is to know who you’re messing with. If I could give every girl this advice I would! If the guy you are talking to is nonchalant, then don’t attempt to make up for what he lacks! Play the game. If you’re talking to a man that likes space, then give him space. Return the energy you are receiving. 

Something that both men and women fail to do is make their intentions clear. Be very straightforward with what you want from the get go so there is no confusion. It is super important that you are both clear about what you are trying to get out of this forming relationship. 

If you and your partner decide that you want a relationship make sure that you don’t rush anything. We’re young! Even if you’re looking for your Hampton Man or Hampton Woman, it’s important to take things slow so you can really get to know the person that you’re with. Some people are in your life for a season or to teach you something so don’t try to rush or force anything. 

Last but not least, stay true to yourself. Don’t change or try to become the version of yourself that they would like better. You’re amazing and beautiful just the way you are.

And ladies, remember: someone that really wants you will apply pressure. 

Zaria Milledge

Hampton U '23

My name is Zaria Milledge I am a second year Political Science student from Bartlett, Illinois. I aspire to one day be a lawyer and then Supreme Court Justice.