womens history month?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
womens history month?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

A Letter to Karen, With Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

To the exasperatingly entitled, the moronic manipulators, the unseasoned and unstable, or rather,

To “Karen”, 

February 1st commenced Black History Month. A month designated to especially celebrate the accomplishments of Black Americans, recognize the adversities we’ve overcome as part of the Black experience, and carry conversations to become a stronger Black community. However, Black History Month is also a time to unapologetically address white people’s BS. 

So this is my letter to you, Karen. I write this with intentions to confront your bias, and identify the microaggressions you claim to be just innocent curiosity. Your whispered subtle racism is louder than the rolling sea in “Lift Every Voice and Sing.” Take this letter as an invitation to check yourself. 

Microaggressions are indirect racially discriminatory comments, derived from historic stereotypes and misconceptions. 

When you tell me I’m pretty for a Black girl, I won’t accept your backhanded compliment; that implies that my blackness is not a reflection of your beauty standards. Your statement is a diluted reminder of when Black slaves’ physical features were compared to monkeys, dogs, and cattle as a form of oppression. I didn’t ask for you to accept the curves of my lips, nose, waist, or behind. Save it. 

When you marvel at how well spoken I am, you’re subliminally implying that my race is incapable of social cognizance and articulation, as slaveholders once believed. Might I add that some of the most notable orators are Black Americans: Maya Angelou, Frederick Douglas, Angela Davis, and you all know Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., to name a few. The surprise you have towards my intellect doesn’t phase me, nor does your supposed assent add credibility to me or my race. Please. 

When you immediately directed me to the sales rack or clearance section, you probably didn’t know that the Black demographic is exponentially increasing its wealth. Rather, you took the preconception that Black people are desperate and dependent like the Uncle Tom caricature that was painted of the Black man in 1851. I’m more than capable of purchasing what I please, and you don’t have to follow me around the store for “security purposes” either. Thanks. 

Please also allow me to remind you that every stereotype you’ve imposed on me and my community is in fact reflected in your everyday behaviors. If I’m uneducated, lazy, angry, brutish, lewd, selfish, or submissive, you have set the ultimate example of being so. Your ignorance is exhibited in the way you so often question our intelligence, not knowing that Nigerian Americans are the most educated ethnic group in the United States, and Black women are the most educated demographic. You claim to measure our laziness and lack of motivation from our use of government assistance, yet your race makes up 49% of Section 8 residents. According to you, we’re animalistic when we request basic human rights and reform from our broken government, but did you not see what happened on January 6th? 

Yet, despite the scorn against my people that you project, you continuously attempt to drain the ink from the blueprint we have created. To absorb it, to appropriate our culture and duplicate our features, yet still only reflect as a faded photocopy of who we are. No matter the amount of lip fillers, age correcting botox, spray tan, or Brazilian Butt Lifts you get, it will never compare to the authenticity of my ethnicity. 

So before you part your lips or furrow your eyebrows in an attempt to dissect who I am, remember that my culture was never created to be a spectacle of your observation. It was never meant to appeal to your aesthetic, or to be compared to your whiteness. My culture was curated in its own originality, flourishing with the approval of my ancestors and the progress of today’s generation. We don’t owe you any explanations. We didn’t need your criticism before, we don’t need it now, and especially not during our Black History Month.

With love, 

Kobi A. Spence <3

Kobi Spence

Hampton U '23

Kobi Alexa Spence attends Hampton University as a Business Management Major, with a double minor in Leadership Studies and Marketing. As well as being a member of HerCampus, Kobi is also the secretary of Black is Gold University Hampton University chapter, and a member of the Caribbean Pre-Alumni Council. In her free time she provides makeup services for those seeking to enhance their natural beauty, and enjoys indulging in self-care and skincare. She also enjoys public speaking, advocating for minority groups, giving advice based on her personal experiences, and is looking to create a podcast or YouTube channel in the future to develop these passions.
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.