Let New Adventures Begin: Starting Your Semester Off Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Summer break is over and it’s finally time to start school. College is definitely a brand new adventure in life. Sure there are tons of people to meet and fun things to do, but your education comes first. Here are five things you can do to start your semester off the right way.

1. Buy Your Books Ahead of Time.

Buying your textbooks ahead of time can be a huge stress reliever especially if the book is high in demand. Personally, I buy my books at least two weeks before I move back on campus. Many students wait until the last minute to buy all of their books and are frustrated when they see that the book won’t get delivered in time. However, if you have your schedule, you can easily find the book you need on the bookstore’s website and order it ahead of time. Websites like Chegg and Amazon are great resources because you can buy books cheaper and they can come in hardcover or electronically. Plus, if your professor changes his mind about the book, you can easily return it and get your money back.

2. Get to Know Your Professors.

Getting to know your professors can help in the long run especially when you need a reference letter for an internship or scholarship. Make sure you know your professors’ office hours so you can address a concern or ask questions. One way to impress your professors before classes start is to introduce yourself via email. Let them know who you are (Hampton Intro, obviously!) and what you are most looking forward to in their class. When my parents suggested doing this, at first I thought, “No way! I don’t wanna suck up to my professor!” But boy was I wrong! Not only were they impressed by my email, but they also remembered me when classes started. So when it came time to ask for a reference letter, my professors were more than obliged to write me one. 

3. It’s All About That Balance.

Of course, college is not just classes and studying, there are also social events and organizations to be a part of. It’s great to join clubs, in fact, it’s highly encouraged; however, it is important to have a balance between your academics and social life. To help keep things from falling all over the place, try tracking different events and due dates on a calendar. For example, say there is a Holland party on Friday and you have a paper due next Monday. Instead of waiting until the last minute to write the paper, use the days leading up to Friday to work on your paper little by little. So when it is time to party, you don’t have to worry about spending your entire weekend on an assignment. Prioritizing your assignments is a big help too. It lets you focus on what’s important first and then doing the smaller assignments later.

4. Develop Healthy Friendships

Having friends to hang out or complain about school with is great and it’s even better when they understand and support you during tough times. When making new friends, I recommend following the  Four Levels of Friendship. The levels are acquaintances, casual friends, close friends, then intimate friends. Using this guide can help develop strong friendships as well as establish boundaries between all the people you know.  However, not all friendships are sunshine and rainbows, there are also toxic friendships. Some signs of a toxic friend are that they’re untrustworthy, they discredit you, or they even convey criticism. If you ever find yourself in a toxic friendship, have the courage to let go. Distance yourself from that toxic person and make other like-minded friends.

5. Me Time.

We can all agree that college is a stressful part of adulthood. To relieve that stress, give yourself some ‘me’ time. It’s very important for your well-being, health, and mind to set some time aside for yourself. There are so many ways to enjoy some quality ‘me’ time, so as Donna Meagle says on Parks and Recreation, “Treat yo self!”  Get a mani/pedi, a massage, or take a relaxing bath. Or maybe splurge a little on yourself and go shopping and buy a good meal. How you spend ‘me’ time is up to you as long as you feel good and less stressed afterward. 

College is a whole new adventure and these tips can help it be your best semester yet! So go out there and be the best in everything you do! 

Camille Birdsong is a Her Campus National Writer for the Style section. She writes weekly articles about all things fashion, beauty, lifestyle, and decor. Beyond Her Campus, Camille works as an Associate Producer for CNN Max. She previously worked at NBC News, where she produced heartwarming stories for the TODAY Show audience and viewers nationwide. Camille graduated in 2022 with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Leadership Studies at Hampton University. She was the Director and Line Producer of her university’s newscast and has interned at NBC Nightly News, the TODAY Show and the Weekend TODAY Show. Camille is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated and is passionate about sharing community-driven stories. In her downtime, she loves creating content, visiting new cafes, and obsessing over reality dating shows.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.