This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

One of the most beautiful things about black women is how versatile we are. We come in all different shapes, shades, and sizes. We’re constantly changing up our look, and most commonly our hair. Black women are notorious for switching up their hairstyles. It’s a part of our culture, but for some reason we constantly receive negative backlash for wearing weave.

People often assume that because a black girl decides to wear weave that they must bald headed, because choosing to protect hair so that it can grow healthy and strong is just doesn’t make sense, right? Wrong. There can be many reasons that a black girl decides to wear weave. She could want to change up her style without the commitment, or she just may not feel like dealing with her own hair.

Celebrities such as Kylie Jenner always get praised for their different hairstyles, but when it comes to black women there is always a problem. We can’t even die our hair a different color without someone thinking that it looks ghetto. Yet when a white woman dyes their hair the color of the rainbow, they’re considered different. You’ll rarely hear someone say to a white woman “That’s not even your hair” when they wear a weave, but black women hear it all the time. We spend hundreds of dollars on our weave, so if we pay for then best believe we own it.

Not only to black women receive negative backlash from the white community, but we also receive a lot of hate from our black men. Twitter is full of rude comments about black women wearing weave, such as “Don’t wife her until you see her without her weave in”. It’s almost as if they would find us unattractive without it.

Black women always get the most negative comments when it comes to our hair. They tell us that we can’t go natural because our hair is nappy and unprofessional, but if we perm it or have a weave in then we are not embracing our natural hair. It seems as though can never win.

Whatever we choose to do with our hair is our business. We shouldn’t have to hear “Oh I bet she bald headed” and “That looks so ghetto”. We should be able to wear our hair as we please. The world needs to stop focusing on how black women wear their hair, and worry more about the issues in the black community. Black women are strong, and independent. Everyone knows that a black woman that at the end of the day a black woman is going to do whatever she wants. Therefore, if she chooses to wear a weave that is her right, and no one should have anything to say about it.

Just a black girl who's constantly flourishing.