jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Learning Your Partner’s Love Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It’s Valentine’s season, and you know what that means. Love is everywhere. It’s in the teddy bears piled high in the aisles of Walmart. It’s in every bouquet of roses. It’s in Godiva chocolates in heart-shaped boxes. It’s nearly impossible to dodge it, at least, on February 14th.

With that being said, getting a Valentine’s Day gift can be a pretty big deal, but what’s even more important is knowing your significant other’s love language. By knowing the ins-and-outs of what your partner adores and hates, you’ll know exactly how to cater to them on this special day of love.

According to FocusontheFamily.com, there are five love languages that every couple should be aware of. The first is words of affirmation. People who identify with this love language need verbal reassurance. What makes them feel loved is literally hearing the words “I love you,” and “I appreciate you.” No, this does not mean you have to tell your partner you love them every two seconds. “I love you” can be said in a plethora of ways. “Did you eat today?” “How are you feeling?” “You look beautiful today!” “Did you make it home safely?” Any phrase or sentence that shows you are thinking of your partner, you’re paying attention to them, and you care about them can be considered an “I love you.”

The second love language is quality time. I don’t care what anyone says—dates are important, and not just the first one. Dates should be a reoccurring thing throughout a relationship. Maybe once a month, take time to spend a night out seeing a movie, going out to eat, going skating, or visiting a museum. Do something you both enjoy.

Quality time doesn’t just refer to going out on a date, though. Quality time can be something as simple as baking cookies together or going to the gym with each other. What it really comes down to is undivided attention. If the two of you would rather avoid an extravagant date on Valentine’s Day, just spend quality time with each other.

The third language is the most common one associated with V-Day—gifts! Some people need their partners to get them tangible items in order to feel loved and appreciated. It doesn’t have to be a new Gucci bag every week, either. A bouquet of roses should do the trick, but some new Gucci is always welcomed!

To some, love is about what you two can do for each other. The fourth love language, acts of service, refers to helping your partner out. Packing their lunch or taking their car to get washed could be considered acts of service. In relationships, think of service as any task that could make your partner’s life a little bit easier. It doesn’t hurt to lend a helping hand every now and then.

The last love language is for the affectionate partners. Physical touch is the fifth love language, and it consists of hugs, kisses, and cuddles. Even something as simple as holding your partner’s hand or rubbing their back caters to this love language. A massage would be the perfect gift for someone who thrives off of physical affection.

A relationship can be really lovey-dovey on the outside, but toxic on the inside if the two of you aren’t aware of each other’s love languages. If you’re genuinely unsure of what your love language is, you can take a Love Language Quiz at GoodNet.

Ayanna Maxwell

Hampton U '20

Ayanna Maxwell is a graduating senior, strategic communications major at Hampton University. Originally from Baltimore, Maryland, Ayanna chose to attend Hampton because she admired the HBCU experience. A proud Virgo, she shares a birthday with her favorite singer, Beyonce (September 4th). Ayanna is also a Spring 2018 initiate into the Gamma Theta Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated.