Learning to Love Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

We fall in love with memories, places, and even people. But how often do we fall in love with ourselves? In order for you to love someone properly you must first learn how to love yourself. To love yourself is to realize that you are worth loving, which in itself opens you up to receiving love from others. The sad truth is many people don’t know how to love themselves. This journey won’t be an easy one but just take it day by day and use these steps to get there. There are so many more ways to love yourself effortlessly and unconditionally and I promise once you get there you won’t ever look back

1. FORGIVE YOURSELF FOR YOU MISTAKES

Continually beating yourself up for what you did in the past is not productive. Show compassion and forgiveness. Take some time and try to understand your past decisions and forgive yourself for them. At the end of the day we might not love all the decisions we make but we do have to live with them. If you spend every day resenting the choices you’ve made in the past, you are going to resent the person you are today because those experiences have molded you into the person you are. Understand that you can’t go back and change the past but you have all the power to alter your choices in the future.

1. CONFRONT YOUR FEARS

You should take your fears one at a time and think of a way to face them head on. In doing this you will discover a whole new you in the process. The sooner you realize that you can’t hold on to your highs and deny your lows, you’ll be one step closer to confronting your fears. Facing your anger, loneliness, greed, fears, depression and conflicts is the most successful form of purification you can find. After this whole process you’ll have gained a new level respect for yourself.

1. GIVE YOURSELF A COMPLIMENT OR TWO!!

A compliment changes a person. It can make someone’s day go from bad too good in a matter of seconds. A simple “You look very pretty today” can change somebody’s whole mood even if for just a little while. Now imagine the effect this would have on yourself, you can change your own day for the rest of your life all thanks to you! The more you compliment yourself and the more love you give to yourself, in the end will only make you love yourself even more.

1. BE YOUR OWN BEST FRIEND

In the same way that you open yourself up to the people who love and support you, open up to yourself. It takes a different type of strength to open up and be venerable with ourselves, because we are often our harshest critique. During this time be as unapologetically selfish as you need to be, this is all about you so take your time. Take this time and really get to know yourself, and strengthen your own internal support system.

1. LOVE AND APPRECIATE YOUR FLAWS

We all have our own flaws. When it comes to other people’s flaws we are more accepting of them and we even try to find the good in them, but when it comes to our own flaws we are so hard on ourselves. We strive so hard for perfection that we often get stuck on the negative qualities. We have to realize that we aren’t perfect, and we never will be and have to be completely okay with that. Your qualities good or bad make you exactly who you are, a you that deserves your own love and appreciation

1. DO NICE THINGS FOR YOURSELF REGULARLY

We get so wrapped up in making sure everybody around us is taken care of that we forget to take care of ourselves sometimes. Treat yourself as often as you can! Celebrate your accomplishments or treat yourself after you’ve had a hard day! Don’t get into the habit of depending on someone else for your happiness, because as soon as they aren’t there you’ll be searching to fill the void. The more you are kind to yourself the happier you will be in the long run.

Kierra Cole

Hampton U '19

22. Hampton U. Senior