This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Valentine’s Day, to some, may seem like a taboo manmade ‘holiday’ where couples take the opportunity to rub in others’ faces everything that they don’t have; love, happiness, a ‘person’. However, even if you’re not celebrating Valentine’s Day with a significant other of the opposite sex, the day is about love. Love doesn’t always have to be romantic either, familial love and friendly love exist too. So, for the Galentine’s Day get together and parties where the ladies drink and watch sappy Rom Coms, here’s ten songs that’ll start to keep the mood upright and push the Galentine’s Day celebration to another level. 

1. Pimpin’ by Megan Thee Stallion

Megan is a staple in the woman community. Her extremely witty lyrics and ‘quick to put someone in their place’ attitude is a perfect way to kick off your Galentine’s party off the right way. There is no way to be sad in Meg’s presence. 

2. High Fashion (feat. Mustard) by Roddy Rich 

Roddy Rich hasn’t missed yet. His cadence in High Fashion makes you feel like he’s talking directly about you and your girls. And, he is! Use this song to remember what you girls bring to the table. 

3. Thot box (Remix) [feat. Young MA, Dreezy, Mulatto, DreamDoll, Chinese Kitty]

Thot Box Remix allows the girls the opportunity to sing along. Each girl can pick an artist to be and unleash their inner rapper in the playlist. And if you have more galentine’s than artists, double up! 

4. Life Is Good (feat. Drake) by Future

Life is Good gives the party the opportunity to remember the good things. Even though Future is a staple for toxic masculinity, the mix that he has with Drake allows everyone the opportunity to get out of the Valentine’s Day dumps. 

5. 1 2 3 (feat Blac Youngsta) by Moneybagg Yo

One of my favorite get-ready-with-me songs is 1 2 3. It is just the right mix of arrogance and ignorance. When you hear this one, remember that if they didn’t make you their valentine, THEY missed out. You are the dime, not the penny. 

6. No Guidance (feat. Drake) by Chirs Brown

Although some might consider No Guidance a love song, I think it’s definitely one that you cannot leave off the playlist. The upbeat vibe and sing along/rap along lyrics force you to be excited. No woman will be sitting quietly; everyone will be tempted to scream the next line. 

7. Something Real by Summer Walker, London on Da Track & Chris Brown

Even though Galentine’s Day is not about men, you do need at least one song to bash the men that are on antics. Summer Walker rides the beat smoothly while she expresses exactly what she prefers in a man, and who can blame her? We all feel the same way! Sometimes it feels good to say out loud that you need something real. 

8. P*$$Y Fairy (OTW) by Jhene Aiko

One slow song is always necessary, but this one would never bring a vibe down. After only a few weeks, Jhene Aiko’s P*$$Y Fairy has become the top of everyone’s ‘Heavy Rotation’ playlist. Even if you don’t have a physical man to ‘boast’ about, somebody has made you smile and that’s the focus! 

9. Slide ft. YG by H.E.R

Slide allows the girls to be Little Ms. Down-to-Earth with a hint of mystery. Not to mention, it has the perfect beat to create choreo and participate in stan battles. So, either way, strap up the dancing shoes and get ready. 

10. Juicy by Doja Cat

The one is definitely for the GIRLS. Doja is all hits no misses and Juicy is the perfect song to flaunt, for the girls, what you have. Remember, you’re absolutely perfect and worth it. 

This is only the start to a perfect Galentine’s playlist. There are plenty of artists, especially women, that exhibit exactly what it means to be perfect and comfortable how you are. That includes, with or without a man. Teyana Taylor, Beyonce, Ari Lennox, and City Girls are just the start to a long list of women that can give you exactly what you need for your Galentine’s Day party. So, if you’re feeling down about Valentine’s Day, don’t! 

Jazmin Lee

Hampton U '20

Jazmin Lee is a junior, Biology major from the "Queen City" Charlotte, NC. Her hobbies include singing/writing music, reading everything from poetry to blogs, and of course......socializing. She is currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. 
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!