This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Katie Sowers, the San Francisco 49ers’s offensive assistant coach will be making history as the first female and openly gay coach in a Super Bowl when the 49ers take on the Kansas City Chiefs on Feb. 2. Before Sower was helping the niner’s skill position players, she was interning with and was the training camp assistant for the Atlanta Falcons. Once she joined the league, she became the second woman to coach in the NFL

In a commercial for the Microsoft Surface tablet, sower read out of her journal she kept as a child where she wrote down her aspirations and desires to one day be a member of a professional football team. “I hope someday I will be a good football player,” Sower read. “I am good at football. When we play football at home, I can make a touchdown in one catch. I am the leader of our football club.”

“I’m not here to be the token female, I’m here to help us win,” Sowers said. 

Many people took to social media to congratulate Sowers on making her mark on NFL history. CBS Sports NFL analyst Scott Pioli took to twitter to commend Sowers on such an accomplishment. 

“Thank you @womenssportsfdn for providing the platform to do what is good and what is right! I simply cultivated an unconditional relationship w/ @katiesowers, I provided her with my mentorship and an opportunity – she has done the work and proven herself!” Pioli tweeted. 

Sowers is a role model for women and girls across the world. She is a prime example of the power you have to accomplish anything you put your mind to and that you will one day live out your wildest dreams.

Her Campus Contributor Account 
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!