This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Blessed is an understatement, being able to attend one of the top HBCUS in the world. Another blessing is being able to attend one of the top schools in the country. I’ve also been a hard worker. Now, that may sound cliché, and everyone likes to think of themselves as such. But pulling all-nighters, bothering my high school teachers, deans, staff any chance I got is what got me here. I remember my mom coming into my room late at night or early in the morning basically begging me to put up my work. “Anisa, go to sleep please!” I think back to those very moments like why I pushed myself so hard, it’s only high school. But those moments are why I’m here. A senior. A GRADUATING senior from Hampton University. I’d be selfish to sit and write this without giving thanks to my parents. They didn’t have these amazing chances that I was blessed with. Their selflessness is why I am here. When picking a school, I had no idea where I would end up at. My college advisor urged everyone in my class to go to a CUNY or SUNY to save money and not be in piles of debt once we graduated. I didn’t want that for myself. I wanted more. I knew I could achieve more because of how hard I was already pushing myself. I wasn’t going to become another statistic from Brooklyn. I was going to put on for my city, myself, and more importantly my parents. The sacrifices they have made me for will never go unnoticed. It was already decided that I would go away for college. Wherever I wanted, I just had to get in. 

Not once did my parents sit me down and tell me that they wouldn’t be able to afford for me to go to school. I know my parents aren’t rich, but they make it happen. For that I’m always indebted. Neither of my parents had the opportunity to go away for school. They wanted for me to have the experience that they didn’t have. For that, I am appreciative beyond words. Over the past few years throughout my college journey, my parents have been hard on me, making sure that I am spending my time wisely. No just at school but outside of school. I used to be slightly annoyed, lol, but I realized that they’re sacrificing everything for my brother and myself. The least I can do is be on point not just academically but overall in life. I knew that they want to make sure that I am successful in all of my endeavors. I’m not pushing myself to finish school and have a successful life for myself but for my parents.

Anisa Saigo

Hampton U '20

My name Is Anisa Saigo and I am a senior journalism major, liberal studies minor from Brooklyn, N.Y. I enjoy everything that has to do with entertainment, fashion, and anything beauty related!