This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

When the temperature drops and the leaves start to fall, you know exactly what time of the year it is. Fall is usually the season that offers the most versatility in outerwear. As the season started, we have seen many popular trends in jackets. From chic too comfortable, there are many different styles of jackets. The most affordable fall jackets can be found at many clothing stores including H&M, Forever 21, American Apparel, and Urban Outfitters.

Leather Jacket

This fall classic is a must. Today, leather jackets have a more detailed design, which is why they are so popular. It is not the same motorcycle jacket from the years before. The low collar lets the arms of the jacket stand out, allowing for a more chic look. The zippers located on the arms and sides of the jacket make the jacket as a whole stand out more. This piece is perfect for days that are cool or a bit breezy.

Bomber Jacket

The bomber jacket is perfect for everyday wear, especially to class. A bomber jacket usually features a zipper front closure, zipper sleeve pocket, and two exterior button pockets. It requires little effort but can make any outfit pop. It is lightweight but warm. It could be worn with a sweater or just a shirt. The possibilities are endless.

Parka Jacket

The parka would have to be the most diverse jacket on the list. It is also the jacket you are most likely to see all over campus.  With the parka, you have the option of a long or short jacket. Depending on the weather, you can also get a lightweight or heavy jacket. This is also an everyday jacket and a great investment as we transition to the winter.

Trench Coat

Is it a coat or jacket? Being that it is so light weight and fall friendly, it can be considered a jacket. This is another timeless piece that is great to invest in. We have seen many great versions of the trench coat. It is not the inspector gadget coat from the 90’s. It usually features a long line silhouette, storm flaps, a notched collar, and long sleeves. Some trench coats include a self-tie belt and buttons. Colors vary but the most popular is a light brown, beige or pink color. Being that it is so diverse, depending on the type of trench coat you buy, it can be worn during the day or in those chilly fall nights.

Denim Jacket

Denim never goes out of style! You can never go wrong with a denim jacket. The latest styles in denim allow you to get a jacket that ranges from the colors of light acid blue to even black. The classic denim jacket is usually long-sleeved with a buttoned front, a basic collar, and buttoned chest patch pockets. It can be worn with pretty much anything at any time, which makes it timeless.

Destiny Warner is a sophomore Nursing major from New York City attending Hampton University. She is very fun, open minded, and positive. Her calm and good vibes attract any one she is around. Destiny enjoys trying new things and pushing herself to new limits. In the future, she see herself working as a surgical nurse in the hospital.
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.