sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

It’s Okay to Be Single: A Personal Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

In a world filled with relationship goals from celebrities, couple pictures flooding timelines, and relationship vlogs on Youtube, it is easy to forget that there is such a thing as being by yourself. Most of us aspire to be married so having relationships in college is a great way to figure out what you like and don’t like in a partner. Yet, it is almost necessary that you go through periods where you are single to gain a greater understanding of yourself and others.

I am sure you all are wondering what makes me credible to speak on this situation? For the majority of my life I have been the matchmaker friend who invests all their time setting others up and being a counselor through their relationship. I was also the girl who had a huge crush on a guy but he never saw me as more than a friend. It wasn’t until my last two years of high school and first two years of college when I became seriously involved with someone. So it’s safe to say that I am a pro at being single and I fully embrace it!

I have gained a tremendous amount of clarity from being solo and looking at previous relationships and friend’s relationships. During my time of solitude, I have learned what I could have done better in my last relationship. Often times, when relationships go bad we tend to solely blame the other party. However, I began to realize my faults and take responsibility for what I added to the situation. I also have realized that I have things internally that I must adjust. It is truly amazing how clear your mind becomes when you are not mentally or physically involved with anyone. I have had more time to self-evaluate, self-love, and strengthen my spiritual walk.

Learn to truly be okay with being single and not feel like you need the validation of a man to make you great. You are phenomenal by yourself, a force to be reckoned with! Take the time to love on yourself a little bit more and become a stronger individual. Make yourself the best that you can be so that when the time comes around for a relationship, you will be fully ready. Remember, being single is nothing to be ashamed of or disappointed in yourself. God simply is preparing you for something greater. Best wishes!

creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.