It’s Just Not the Same: White filmmakers and the Black Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Since the dawn of time, white directors in Hollywood have tried their best to capture the “black experience.” From Lean on Me to The Help, our stories have been told by people who have absolutely no clue what our experience is truly like. While the works of John Singleton and Steve McQueen have become a staple in the world of black film, Hollywood has yet to recognize more films by black directors and their films that give the raw and honest look into our experience. 

Many notable films that deal with topics such as slavery, black heroes, and black soldiers in the American Civil War were written and directed by white filmmakers. Some of those were works were done perfectly and hit the nail on the head while others missed the mark. The Help, directed by Tate Taylor, received some harsh reviews from several film critics and dubbed as the “solution to racism by white people.” The Color Purple, however, was directed by Stevin Speilberg with the help of Quincy Jones and has become a staple film in the black community.

In a 2013 interview with the Hollywood Reporter, legendary filmmaker John Singleton gave his two cents on the subject at hand. The Oscar nominated director questioned Hollywood’s motive in telling black stories with little to no input from black people. He stated, “It’s as if the studios are saying we want it black, just not that black.” In a 2014 interview, Singleton expanded on his comment and criticized major studios for refusing to let African Americans direct black-themed films. “They want black people to be what they want them to be. Nobody is man enough to go and say that. They want black people to be who they want them to be, as opposed to what they are.”

So, what can we do to take control of our stories? As a people, we must first give credit and promote films by black writers and directors. We are what decides the success or failure of a film; we are the audience. You wouldn’t want a stranger telling your life story to the world, right? Treat this the exact same way. These films are shown all around the world and can misconstrue what life as a black American is really like. We, as an audience, have to help our black creatives get the recognition and inclusion they deserve while simultaneously telling our stories… the correct way.

T J

Hampton U '23

TJ discovered her love for the writing at a young age after teaching herself to read by age five. Her writing journey started off by writing short stories for school competitions and developed into writing fan fiction in middle and high school for her friends to read. TJ is currently expanded her freelance portfolio and focus on topics related to entertainment, lifestyle and culture.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.