Culture > News

Is The Royal Family That Big Of A Deal?: Recent sighting at the Celtics Game Didn’t Make Much Of A Difference…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Now I understand the importance of the royal family, and don’t get me wrong I will always stand behind Meghan Markle and Prince Harry and their whirlwind romance. But as far as other family members it’s kinda of a meh situation. I mean there’s nothing that really sticks out about them and apparently I’m not the only one who thinks that.

At the most recent Celtics Game against the Miami Heat Kate Middleton and Prince William, the Prince and Princess of Wales, made a public appearance in the front row during the personal trip to the United States. Yet the special spectators did not add any pressure to the game because in a post-game interview the head coach of the Celtics, Joe Mazzulla, was asked if he was was little extra nervous to have the royal family watching. His response in full seriousness was “Jesus, Mary and Joseph?” Although it gave the crowd of reporters a little chuckle it still negate the fact that he geniuley didn’t notice or didn’t feel as though it should distract him from doing his job. When he was corrected that it was in fact the British royal family he continued to say that “I’m only familiar with one royal family…I don’t know too much about that [British] one, thank you.”

Although it is a seemingly harmless mistake to not notice the fans attending, it does make me question, is the royal family as relevant as they use to be? I mean you’ll always pay attention when there is a large wedding or of the recent passing of Queen Elizabeth II. But for the most part they are really just the face of Britian. Securing relationships with foreign countries and while being showered in their riches or diamonds and exprensive clothes. Something that seems so unattainable by the average person that we can’t even fathum the generaltional wealth and responsibilty their name carries.

However, I feel that with the toxic and blatant racism that was shown towards Meghan Markle that it got so bad Price Harry was scared for his wife’s life and literally giving up their royal riches to move to the U.S. A massive transition like that put the royal family in different life from the perspective of outsiders and from that point on there was a dramatic shift to people giving up respect for them. Or at least having less than they had for them before. There isn’t much connection between the royal family and the U.S. pop culture, and these responses post-game interviews just goes to show the lack of relevancy this family holds in our most modern time.

Nia Tate

Hampton U '23

Hi, girlies! My name is Nia Tate and I am a Graduating Senior Health Sciences Major and Sociology from Seattle, Washington. I aspire to work at a non-profit organization that works towards equity in the health care system. A lot of my hobbies include yoga/meditation, kickboxing, trips to the lake, and upcycling old clothes into creating something new. I also aspire to travel the world and experience all different types of cultures and fashion. Some of my dream destinations I hope to visit include Japan, Brazil, and Greece!