This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Current events in our nation have sparked an important and necessary conversation about why voting is so important. Today, I will quickly explain a few reasons why it is necessary for you to cast your vote and also help you truly understand the bottom line of it all: that change will not happen if you do go out to the polls

Many believe that voting is unimportant or that their vote will not actually make any difference in the final outcome of a particular election. Most often, these comments are made specifically about the Presidential election. Although there are other factors that go into the final decision of who becomes the winning candidate, voting is still extremely crucial. If your vote joins enough others in your district, it will make a significant difference when it comes to electoral results. Voting is one of the most important rights that a United States citizen has especially within our minority communities. Our ancestors put their blood, sweat, and tears into the fight for us to have this right. 

Unsplash

Here are a few key things to remember: 

1. Foundational change begins at the local level. So if your state has not had its primary election yet, PLEASE participate and cast your votes. 

2. The decisions of locally elected officials make a direct impact on your life. They make decisions on policing and public safety, rent costs and affordable housing, job training programs, local school quality, and much, much more. 

3. Your vote is your voice. Many people in other countries around the world do not have that same freedom. The right to vote should be cherished and always exercised. 

Our generation needs to understand that we are preparing to join the workforce and soon start our adult lives. We will be greatly affected by all of the decisions the next president makes. It is up to us to shape the future and make our communities and entire country a better place. The power is in our hands. So make sure your voice is heard… every vote truly does count!

Alexa Green

Hampton U '21

My name is Alexa Green and I am a senior, cyber security major from Bloomfield, Connecticut. I currently attend Hampton University and I love everything to do with writing articles and empowering females. I am looking forward to another wonderful year as a contributing writer for HerCampus HamptonU!
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!