This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As we celebrate the greatness of being a woman during Women’s History Month, we acknowledge the many things that involve the life of a woman. There are so many entities that make up the goddess-like soul of a woman. But, one of the most important and impactful characteristics that helps a woman be a woman is the sisterhood that many of us have with our closest friends.

Sisterhood is one of the most important bonds created as you continue to grow as a woman. The relationship with your closest friends that later grows into a sisterhood empowers you in so many ways. As a woman, we go through so many issues that not everyone can fully comprehend. Having another woman who is a confidant, a soul-mate, and a constant hype man makes you feel good about yourself. I know that my best girlfriends are the greatest gifts that I’ve been blessed with. Whenever I need to vent, need reassurance, or simply need to feel loved, they’re my go-to people. With a sisterhood comes the feeling of security. Surrounding yourself with empowered women lets you be your authentic self. There is no need to conform or change who you are to fit in.

I know sometimes I get into moods where I feel like what I say or do doesn’t matter, but then I text my sisters knowing they’ll make me feel seen and heard. Relationships with other women, especially with empowering women creates a community that’s like family. Without your sisters, who else is gonna be down with all the antics, cry with you, and put you in your place when you really need it?

Willow Jones

Hampton U '21

Willow is a Criminal Justice major from Harlem, New York. Willow has hopes of becoming a criminal defense attorney. In her spare time, she loves writing and hopes to merge law and writing together in the future.