The Importance of Being an Educated Black Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As a black woman, often times we are pegged as “ghetto”, “difficult to work with”, or even “aggressive.” Not only are these stereotypes, but they’re misconceptions believed by African Americans and others outside of our race. Don’t believe what they say. There are so many paths that one can take to live their life, but being educated is one of the few that can contain the best results. This doesn’t just include college education either. You can go to cosmetology school, nursing school, law school, journalism school and even trade school (for all my STEM females out there). Life is what you make it, but always remember that knowledge takes you so much farther than just going about life. Having knowledge can make your perception of the world broaden and allow you to pass along that information to others. You never know when someone else might need to hear something that you have awareness of. When you have this knowledge please don’t hold out on sharing. There is no room for jealousy, strife, or manipulation. In a world where our male counterparts are being wrongfully killed by the boatload, and our other sisters are being hunted for sex-trafficking, it is our responsibility to be knowledgeable and share what we know to help someone else. What do you gain from holding out on information?  

Whether in the classroom or the board room, remember that when you enter into a place, you’re not coming as one. You embody the thousands of women that came before you. You should also be proud of yourself for what you’ve done and where you’re about to go. There are so many women and young girls who wish they had the opportunities that you had or life that you had so be grateful .. I know it’s going to feel intimidating at first – nerve-wracking even. But do not hang your head. Even if it seems like everyone else around you is more qualified than you, you still belong there whether you believe it for yourself or not.

Sherdell Baker

Hampton U '23

Sherdell Baker is an emerging trailblazer in the media industry. Along with her being President (Campus Correspondent) for Her Campus Hampton U, she also writes for her own lifestyle & advice blog and ESSENCE Girls United. Sherdell works to one day be the Editor-in-Chief of a major magazine publication or create her own magazine company and continue to share important stories after she graduates from Hampton University.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!