This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Let’s talk about skin care! In the beginning of October, my dermatologist recommended a chemical peel to lighten the dark spots on my face.  A chemical peel is a procedure in which a chemical solution is applied to the skin to remove the top layers. After a few months of having a consistent skin care routine, in March I made my appointment to achieve flawless skin.

The week before my chemical peel I studied Tik Tok videos on chemical peels. So, before my appointment, I took ample amounts of before pictures just to track my progress. For some reason I treat my private snapchat story like a mini-YouTube channel. My “YouTube” page walked into the dermatologist appointment with me and tracked my progress throughout the week. So welcome to my private snapchat story, and here’s my review of my chemical peel.

At the beginning of my appointment, the nurse cleaned my face with alcohol. As I sat there waiting for the dermatologist, all I could think about was how I would be avoiding everyone in the coming week. When the dermatologist came in the room she put a substance on my face. I am not sure the name of this substance, but it really burned. It was a bearable burn, but it was highly uncomfortable. After that she cooled down my face. My doctor informed me to not wash my face that night. In addition, I was not allowed to do my topical skin care routine for one week. 

I had no side effects for the rest of the day. However, when I woke up the next morning the peeling had begun. The peeling was mostly on my cheeks and my eyebrows. The peeling did not hurt at all. I could not tell I was peeling until I looked in the mirror. Day three and four the real peeling began. I thank God that wearing masks is the social norm right now because it hid most of my face from the public. Day five through seven were a bit less drastic, my cheeks were the only thing really peeling. So, it was easy to hide from any potentially impressionable people aka the cute men at my job.

One week after my chemical peel, I could see a noticeable difference in my skin. My skin glowed in the sun. I was very impressed with the difference the peel had made in such a short amount of time. The only complaint I would have about the chemical peel would be I still have some visible dark spots. However, I am due for another chemical peel in mid-April. Since I binged watched Tik Tok videos, I was expecting a slightly different ending. But now my acne experience is different from anyone else’s.

I would definitely recommend a chemical peel for anyone who is insecure about dark spots on their face. Overall, it was a good experience with minimal pain. My biggest recommendation to anyone interested in a chemical peel would be to talk to a professional about it. The last thing any person would want is a screwed up chemical peel.

Sydney Broadnax

Hampton U '23

Sydney Broadnax is currently a senior journalism major with an area of concentration in english from Detroit, Michigan. She has been in Hercampus since freshman year of college and is excited to serve as 2022-2023 Editor-In-Chief. She cannot wait to share her love for writing with her Hercampus chapter
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.