This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

I am thankful for creativity because I can express myself in every area of my life by any means. I have a love for fashion and I never want to look like everyone else. I like to stand out. Everyone is capable of being creative, but it is up to the person to tap into those abilities on their own.

No one can be creative for you. Everyone has a purpose and it’s our assignment on this earth to fulfill it.

We all have different purposes and walk on different paths. How will you be creative with your purpose?

Rollo May once stated that, “Creativity is the process of bringing something new into being. Creativity requires passion and commitment. It brings to our awareness what was previously hidden and points to new life. The experience is one of heightened consciousness: ecstasy.”

Writing is one way that you can express yourself. Write down how you are feeling or your passions and use that for motivation. The arts have always been close to my heart and connected to my passion. I know something is wrong when my creative energy is lacking. I am a creator and so are you. I love how I can express myself with a pen and paper or through an interpretive dance. One can be creative through hairstyles, makeup looks, and outfit choices. Just like someone can be creative through poems, raps, or songs. There’s so many ways you can be creative, but you have to figure out which areas best fit you according to your skills and abilities.

Individuality is key to a lot of things. You want to remain you in all that you do. Express yourself according to you. Originality is something that the world lacks where everyone wants to be like someone else, everyone wants to act like someone else. A lot of people in this generation don’t know how to be original. They like to copy everything instead of being original. It’s only one you so act accordingly. You have to know that is only one you and that no one can ever duplicate you. We are all different in our own way. Visions are widely useful when referring to creativity. Take some time to think about you vision by closing your eyes and using your imagination. Imagine or vision something to get an idea about what you want to create. Think about what inspires you. Do something you love and make it your own. Get in a quiet space and place some music to get some inspiration if you find yourself stuck. I want to challenge everyone who reads this to tap into your creativity daily because it is therapeutic and there’s nothing like being one of a kind.

Anyaé Johns

Hampton U '21

Anyaé Johns is a graduating senior Journalism major/Leadership Studies and Cinema Studies minor from New Jersey. Anyaé is a part of the William R. Harvey Leadership Institute, HerCampus, NAACP, Phi Eta Sigma, and the Hampton Script. She is a writer and a mentor.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com