Wellness

How To Be Productive During Our Short Winter Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

By Aaliyah Pollard

Winter is in full swing, so the weather feels like “just 5 more minutes in bed.” This season is notorious for making people feel less motivated to be productive. In the spirit of trying to stick to those new year’s resolutions, here are some practices I use to keep me accountable. 

1. Stretches 

As hard as it is, with the bed being so comfortable, I do everything I can to essentially jump out of bed. As soon as my feet hit the floor I find at least a five minute YouTube video to follow before I get ready. Even if I don’t find a video, I’ll find a few stretches to repeat for the same duration of time. The whole point is to get the blood flowing and try to gain some energy. It doesn’t have to be a full routine, so it’s okay if you only touch your toes and swing your arms a few times. 

1. Water

This remedy is older than Tyla’s challenge and TikTok itself. I know we’re familiar with the idea that contact with cold water is one of the best ways to wake up, but it really does its job in the mornings. The minute I splash some cold water on my face, the initial jolt I get from the coldness of the water is enough for me to at least try to focus for the rest of the day ahead. 

1. Alarms

These shouldn’t stop the moment you hit “Close” when you wake up. I know we’re used to using agendas to keep us track with assignments and meetings, but there is a more “in your face” way to do so. The Reminders app or anything similar is one of the best ways to keep me on track for important deadlines, events, and appointments I have coming up. I also use the app to alert me at times I need to take any medicines so that I stay on track with my health. One of the best parts about this tip is being able to swipe the task off of the list of reminders once it’s completed. 

1. Be Patient

Since it can take some time to adjust to the changes in the weather, be patient if any changes you make in your morning routine don’t instantly give you results. You have to work towards making it a habit with the knowledge that it’s in your best interest. It’s also okay if you’re not consistent the first few times. Don’t be too harsh on yourself. 

That concludes my list of practices that keep me motivated in the winter! Hopefully you’ll consider incorporating some of these into your morning routine and get even a slight boost of motivation.

Aaliyah Pollard

Hampton U '25

Strategic Communications major from Augusta, GA who loves fashion, writing, and music