nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

How Tidying Up Can Affect Your Productivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

With it being a New Year, many of us have resolutions that we want to fulfill and bring into our daily lives. I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase, “new year, new me” or have even said it at some point in your life. A common resolution is a weight loss goal. Gyms are packed the first two weeks of the new year, and then the attendance goes down. Why is that? It takes 21 days to build or break a habit, and 90 days to build a lifestyle.  Building or breaking a habit can be very difficult because of internal and external issues that may hinder your progression. A cluttered space truly is a cluttered mind, and technology can also play a role in that. Digital clutter can affect you as well, making it more difficult to filter information clearly and switch between tasks effectively.

What are your resolutions? Everything in life is a process. All change starts internally before it manifests externally. It is important to break your goal into mini goals that can be accomplished each day. If your goal is to lose weight, make a daily goal that will help you reach the ultimate goal, such as drinking more water one day and lowering your calorie intake the next day. Let each goal build upon itself until the end goal is reached. One thing I have noticed is that whenever I deep clean my dorm room, I feel more motivated to do work earlier in the day and it is easier for me to focus for a longer period of time. It is very easy to be side tracked while doing something that does not peak your interest, but having less clutter around you to distract you will keep you on the right track. There is a new show on Netflix called Tidying Up with Marie Kondo, and it shows how taking steps toward your goals each day will help you accomplish your goal entirely. Marie Kondo goes into people’s homes and teaches them methods that prevents clutter from building up and how to effectively fold clothes to maximize small amounts of space. The show portrays how working in increments each day can change your life, and it makes your goals seem more attainable. This year, make all of your goals attainable and stick through with them. It is your year to elevate yourself and become the person you’ve always wanted to be.

Cashara Quinn

Hampton U '21

Cashara is a graduating senior Journalism major, Spanish minor from Chesapeake, Virginia. She will be a news producer at WFTX Fox 4 upon graduation. Her hobbies include playing the violin, dancing, and fashion. As Cashara continues to build her resume, she hopes to inspire young girls to work hard to achieve their goals and believes that anything is possible through Christ.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com