This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Midterms are slowly but surely approaching. This is undoubtedly one of the most stressful times of the school year surpassed only by final exam season. I’m going to give you a few tips to not only survive midterms but to thrive. Use these tips and you’re guaranteed to ease right through midterms and into spring break! 

Get Organized & Stay Ahead

Your planner is GOLD.

Midterm season is here and no one wants the stress of running around and being frantic. This is the time to sit down, be real with yourself, and reflect on which classes you’ll need more help in than others. If you need to kiss up to some professors because you need those extra points, do it. Your mind needs to be locked in to survive midterms.

Catch Some Zzzz’s

It is important to allow your body to recharge.

Working and studying so much is tiring and cramming information won’t help you retain it any better. The body needs a moment to relax and replenish itself. Be reasonable with your sleeping habits during midterms. Naps are necessary as well, about 30 minutes to 1 hour. Don’t take a 4 hour nap in the middle of the day if you know you have exams tomorrow. Establish a solid sleeping pattern if there isn’t one already. Go to bed earlier, so that you can get a good amount of rest.  

Breaks = Necessary

While studying, breaks are essential.

The mind needs a moment to process all of the information. Cramming too much information at one time may not allow room for the mind to remember the information. Go on a walk and get some fresh air during your break so that you won’t feel the stress and intensity of studying for hours.

Do Not Forget About Your Health!

All choices this week need to be healthy, PERIOD!

Everyone loves to eat, but it is important to make sure that what you’re eating during the midterm season is healthy. Exercising, yoga, meditation are all healthy ways to help beat this week’s stress. Increase your consumption of fruits, vegetables, and nuts which are all brain foods. Now, I know we all love our caffeine, but too much of it can have some negative consequences. Consuming it too late can mess up your sleep schedule and throw everything off. Putting your health to the side is the last thing you want to do during such a stressful and demanding time.

Stay Motivated

Get lit and celebrate!

You are at the halfway mark of your second semester. Seniors, you have half your foot out the door! Be excited. Everyone is almost done for the year and once you finish it’ll be time to celebrate. Use all of these positive thoughts as your motivation/drive to the best you can on midterm exams.  

Wishing everyone the best during this midterm season.

Khiya Derricott

Bowie State '23

Khiya is a senior majoring in Communications with an emphasis in Broadcast Journalism at Bowie State University. She aspires to become a news anchor. She hopes to one day work for ESPN and intern with the NFL. She has interests in editorial writing, football, and foreign relations. Professional interests aside, her favorite color is purple. She loves to travel and to read books. In three words, she would describe herself as kind, adventurous, and tenacious.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!