How to Survive Homecoming: Ballin’ on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Yes, it’s finally homecoming week! You’ve waited all month long for this and can’t wait to be in the midst of alumni, friends, and family. But then, suddenly you remember “wait…can I afford homecoming?” The answer is yes! With all the fun-filled events, things can get a little pricey. Here are some tips to help both you and your wallet survive homecoming:

1.  Prioritize

First things first, most of your professors will be understanding of homecoming season. After all, they were once in our shoes. However, some of professors will not care at all and you might find yourself with a large test or a boatload of homework. Do not put these assignments off. Your best bet is to get these assignments done as soon as possible. Jot down all assignments that need to be completed in your planner. This way, you can stay organized and are able to see what actually needs to get done. The sooner it’s out of the way, the more time you will have for fun.

2. Pick your party

Free is my favorite word. Luckily some of the homecoming events are free and nothing beats inexpensive fun. Be sure to take advantage of those events. Many of the parties at clubs can range anywhere from ten to twenty-five dollars. By the time you buy two tickets, you’re already out of fifty dollars. Remember, you don’t have to go to every single party. Pick one or two. Purchase your tickets in advance for the lowest amount that seems to be getting the most attention. If you happen to have an extra ticket in the end, sell it! You may not get all of what you spent for it, but at least you’ll have some type of compensation.

3.  Outfits

Homecoming can quickly become a fashion show. Old heads return to stunt on their former classmates. Girls and guys want to show out in their flyest outfits – I get it. However, there is no need to buy a new outfit for everyday of homecoming. Instead, go to your closet and take a look at what you already have. The key is to own a few staple pieces that can be mixed and matched to create countless cute, effortless, and chic looks. Save your coins for your party outfit. One or two new outfits instead of 7 different ones makes way more sense for the wallet. As far as shoes, you’re able to get away with re-wearing them. Gojane.com and forever21.com are great websites to find cute items without breaking the bank.

4. Food

There is going to be vendors during homecoming selling all kinds of delicious foods and treats. It’s very tempting, but don’t fall for it! Treating yourself to something tasty once is nice, but don’t go overboard. The school cafeteria is not closed during homecoming, so use it. Homecoming is a time to have fun, but don’t go too crazy.

It’s homecoming season. Remember to be safe, be smart, and make wise monetary decisions.

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.