This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Studying can be the most stressful part of college. You can know the information in class but when it comes time for a test, your mind goes blank. That might mean your studying method needs some tweaking. Academics is not just about learning the information, it’s about retaining it and being able to communicate it to others. 

The first thing to do in order to step up your study game is to create your study schedule. Your study schedule should be consistent for the most part. See if you prefer night time study sessions or morning study sessions. Then decide how you want to study. I think one of the most effective ways of studying is by reading, taking notes, reviewing the notes and testing yourself on the information. Every class is different but for the most part, if you want to be able to learn and retain information, you will most likely have to read the textbook. Here is one way to take your notes as you read 

• Look over the entire chapter you’re reading to get an idea of how many sections you have and what you’ll be reading.

• Write down headlines or titles, so when you review, you know what you’re reading about.

• Read one paragraph at a time then write down the most important parts of that paragraph. 

• As you read you can highlight or underline so you know the important information.

• Write any lists you see: lists tend to be easier to study

• Make a vocabulary section with all important words you should know 

• After all these notes are taken, review them and test yourself. 

Notes like this would be most beneficial if done before the lecture, that way, the lecture can be both a review for you and answer any questions you have from the readings. Last thing to do is find ways to stay motivated. Taking notes isn’t always fun but just remember why you’re in college and find some interest in what you have to study. 

Jala Tucker

Hampton U '21

Jala Tucker is a junior from Baltimore, Maryland, currently enrolled at Hampton University. She is a Strategic Communications major with a minor in Leadership Studies on the Presidential Scholarship which places her in the University’s Honors Program. At Hampton University she is a member of the William R. Harvey Leadership Institute as well as the Student Leadership Program. Volunteering at places such as the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation and interning at the Maryland State Department of Education has enhanced her passion for improving social and political issues through communication. With her degree she hopes to get her Masters in Public Policy, explore the Public Relations and Communications world.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!