This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

We all know that HBCU Homecomings are the epitome of emptying your pockets, especially at Hampton where the bougier the better. However, there are a few things you can do to keep some of that money during the most important week of the semester. 

Eat At The Caf 

Homecoming week consists of late nights and early mornings. During those late nights you are going to want to get some fast food, which is normal. In order for those late night food runs not to dip into your homecoming fund, eat at the caf throughout the day. Breakfast is a stretch but for lunch and dinner, fill up on the caf food. Even if it’s not the most appetizing, make do, because we definitely can’t do homecoming right on an empty stomach.

Make Sure The Uber Is Full

Homecoming parties are usually no where near campus. Most of the time they are at least 25 to 35 minutes away. Do not take an uber with just one other friend. Fill up the uber and split the cost with 4 or 5 people. Hop in your dorm group chats and ask if anyone would like to split an uber to the party. Instead of paying $15 dollars per person, you’ll only pay $5. Those extra few dollars can go a long way during hoco week. 

Go To All Free Events 

The events during homecoming are a key component to the homecoming experience. The step show, fashion show, coronation, concert, etc., are all events that bring the campus together. Even though some of those events aren’t free, still try to go if you can afford it, and if you can’t, there should be no reason why you’re not at the free events. Wild’n out, the tailgate, and Sunday’s Best are free events that are going to make your homecoming experience great. Just because there is a price tag on an event doesn’t mean it’s going to be more fun than a free one. #ThinkAboutIt

Go Straight To The Back 

Anybody that knows me, knows that when I walk into any clothing store I go straight to the back and look at the sales rack. There are always quality finds on those racks. You can get clothes for almost 70%-90% off sometimes. Work your way from the back to the front. If you find hella clothes on the sales rack, you may not even need to go through the entire store. But if you only find a few items, at least you wouldn’t spend as much as you would’ve if you had started in the front of the store. Don’t go broke trying to buy expensive clothes when you can look just as cute in clothes that are now on sale! 

Ask Alumni To Contribute To Your Hoco Fund

Alumni love giving to current students. I’ve had my dad’s coworker (who is a Hampton grad) buy me food from the food trucks, my best friend’s cousin pay for my hoodie at a vendor’s table during the tailgate, and my cousin send me $100 just because he knows homecoming is expensive af. There are many different ways for alumni to contribute to the hoco fund. It may not be physical money in your hand but take all of it. Whether it’s taking you out to lunch or buying you a t-shirt, be appreciative because it’s not tapping into YOUR pockets. 

I hope these tips help you save your money during homecoming. Nobody wants to get through homecoming week and look at their bank account to find it in the negative. 

I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!