Wellness > Health

How to Protect Your Eyes While Attending Zoom University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Schools around the globe have shut down due to the growing number of COVID cases, leaving many of us, K through the college level, out of the classroom. While some of us are more than happy to lounge in our bedroom slippers while yelling “here” at our laptops for attendance, getting eye strains after prolonged use have been a concern for students learning remotely this fall. If you’ve ever experienced blurry vision, a tired sensation in your eyes or even headaches after using a digital device, here are a few tips that can help protect your eyes while navigating through online learning. 

1.Take Frequent Breaks

While typing away at your assignment, take a break. Go get that afternoon snack that you’ve had a taste for. Utilize that break time to rest your eyes. I, personally, have been incorporating the 20-20-20 rule into my daily schedule. This rule says for every 20 minutes that your eyes are fixated at a screen, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. 

2. Adjust the lights around you 

Several things can cause eye strain. One can be the overwhelmingly amount of bright light from harsh interior lighting. For this reason, when using a computer it is suggested that your ambient lighting is about almost as bright as the ones found in commercial buildings. Before sitting down and getting into the groove, try to reduce the interior lighting by doing the following: Using fewer light bulbs; fluorescent tubes, or using lower intensity bulbs.

3. Try computer glasses 

If you need glasses or contacts, consider asking your optometrist about glasses or contact wears that are helpful for computer work. You can even ask about lens coatings and tints that might also help you. Recently, I’ve invested in several pairs of blue light glasses. This eyewear is said to prevent blue light from harming your eyes. Though the American Academy of Ophthalmology has not made any recommendation of eyewear for computer users, I have noticed a decrease in headaches and tired sensation in the eye since my investment. Again, consult with your optometrist about what options are best for you. 

4. Keep the computer screen at a safe distance

It is important to find a safe working distance from your screen especially if you are plastered in front of it for a long period. Since the intensity of light increases exponentially the closer our eyes are to the source, you are encouraged to hold screens at arm’s length.

Yveneka Lestin is a writer and freelance publicist working to amplify unheard voices and personalities through visibility. She has navigated a variety of public relations campaigns which resulted in securing media placements in Forbes, CNN, Today’s Show, and Teen Vogue. She calls many places home, including NYC where she grew up, and Virginia where she attends Hampton University. In addition to being an avid writer and reader, Yveneka is a foodie and a loving aunt to her nieces.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!