How One Person Can Make a Difference

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As African Americans, we have always faced discrimination and stereotyping. In this generation, there has been a stronger fight for equality. Throughout the years, the younger generation has helped keep this fight for African Americans alive. A young man named Jonathan Butler is an example of how one person can make a difference.

Jonathan Butler is a graduate student at the University of Missouri. The University of Missouri’s president, Tim Wolfe, was criticized for his lack of attention to racial issues happening on campus. Tensions heightened back in September when an African American student was called a racial slur by another peer, but no action was taken.

On October 5, 2015, a drunk student screamed discriminating phrases to members of The Legion of Black Collegians. The incident was reported but again, no action was taken. An altercation with the president occurred with African American students at their annual Homecoming parade on October 10, 2015. This group of students was members of the Concerned Student 1950 organization. The group surrounded the president’s car in an effort to confront him about the problems with African Americans at the university. Instead of listening to the students, he requested the police remove them from the parade route.

The final straw for Jonathan Butler and many other students was an altercation that occurred on October 24, 2015. A student “scrawled a swastika in human feces on the floor and wall of a dormitory”. This action did not only show disrespect, but this is the day Jonathan decided to go on a hunger strike. The hunger strike symbolized the determination to end the problems both on campus and nationwide for African Americans. This was the beginning of many protests calling for the resignation of the university president. Jonathan stated that he is willing to die of starvation. A few days later, the football team announced that they would not participate in any football related activity until the president resigned. The protest got the media’s attention, and a few days later Tim Wolfe resigned.

Jonathan is an example of what can happen when you stand up for what you believe in. His initial protest sparked more demonstrations on his campus and several around the nation. Though the school still has work to do, they recognized the changes they need to implement. With so many problems facing the African American community today, we can all take notes from Jonathan.

Destiny Warner is a sophomore Nursing major from New York City attending Hampton University. She is very fun, open minded, and positive. Her calm and good vibes attract any one she is around. Destiny enjoys trying new things and pushing herself to new limits. In the future, she see herself working as a surgical nurse in the hospital.
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.